Question about 1999 Dodge Ram

1 Answer

Special wrench required for pulling off ball joints?

Is there a special wrench required for pulling off the upper ball joints on a 99' Dodge Ram Van 1500? I'm trying to remove the upper ball joints on my van and they look like they screw in.

Thanks a lot in advance

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Dodge Master
  • 753 Answers

Hi my name is Allen!

Yes there are 2 tools you will need.
1- C-4212F Ball Joint Remover and Installer
2-DD-1278 Coil Spring Compressor

Be very careful as these springs can be very dangerous.

Good News: You should be able to rent are they may even let you borrow them at AutoZone or some other auto parts store.

For further asistance you may reach me at FixYa!

Posted on Dec 28, 2008


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Front wheel bearing?

Requires several special tools that most people do not own. Like and impact wrench, large 28-35mm socket, star sockets, torque wrench, ball joint spreader, etc. Cheaper to have someone else install it verses the cost in obtaining the correct tools.

Jul 22, 2014 | 2003 Dodge Caravan

1 Answer

How do I replace upper ball joint on 1990 Lincoln Towncar?

It requires special tools and an air power impact wrench, then the front end must be aligned.

Feb 12, 2013 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

How do you take the ball joints out of a Dodge 2500 4X4 2001 (Front)

you will need a special tool to remove the lower ones, it takes a press, you can rent one at the nearest autozone, or parts store, and the uppers have rivets in them unless they have been removed before.

Dec 04, 2010 | 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Truck

1 Answer

Is an upper ball joint threaded?

Yes it is threaded and requires a special socket for removal.Channelocks can be used in a pinch but is quite tedious.Many times I have also had the heat the control arm up to get these to unthread.

Jul 10, 2010 | 1990 Dodge W250

1 Answer

How to change the inner tie rod, as the existing tie rod has place for a wrench

Tie rods are replaced from ball joint to ball joint, the place for the wrench is to adjust wheel alignment toe in. Ball joints are removed with a special fork, you can sometimes use a hammer to shock the taper and remove them.

Apr 17, 2010 | 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan

3 Answers

How to change the ball joints on my 99 dodge ram 2500 4wd?

it takes a ball joint press which can be purchased at harbor freight. you should purchase "moog problem solvers". they are your best bet for trouble free repairs.

Nov 08, 2009 | 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4WD

1 Answer

99 jeep gc need to replace cv joint

Not to bad you will need a ball joint spreader. some sockets wrench's.prybar.Remove the tire then loosen cv bolt. Remove brake caliber and move ball joint nut.Remove steering rod nut.Get the ball joint spreader an remove steering rod then remove the ball-joint.Take the cv bolt off grab the strut and pull outward .With a rubber mallet knock cv out of housing.The remove from my have pry a little.

Jan 16, 2009 | 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

1 Answer

Front drivers side axle removal

There's not any special tools. You need a socket to fit the nut on the end of the axle and a wrench to take the nut and bolt off the bottom ball joint that slides through the control arm. Take a bar, pry down on lower control arm, pulling ball joint out, then pull the upper part out by hand, away from the car, slide axle out of the bearing assembly. Take a pry bar, put between trans and axle, give it a swift, quick ****. The axle should come out. Remember to always put jack stands under the car and be safe. Phil

Jan 09, 2009 | 2003 Dodge Neon

1 Answer

Remove Upper/Lower Ball Joints

The only way is to press them out with a press, and press the new ones in. I have seen people try to press them out with a vise and a socket against the balljoint and it did not work, a local machine shop or repair shop should have a press.

Oct 13, 2008 | 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD

Not finding what you are looking for?
1999 Dodge Ram Logo

Related Topics:

317 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Dodge Experts


Level 3 Expert

82313 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22382 Answers

Ronny Bennett Sr.
Ronny Bennett Sr.

Level 3 Expert

6927 Answers

Are you a Dodge Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides