What trans? AOD? This is 1992 F Series, all I have.
Shift Controls, Automatic Transmission
The transmission shift control linkage or cable transfers the transmission operating mode from the selector lever to the transmission. The indicated transmission position on the steering column is transferred to a shift lever on the bottom of the steering column. On vehicles equipped with cable-operated shift systems, the indicated position of the transmission selector lever is transferred to the transmission through the shift cane, then to the cable, and down to the transmission manual shift lever at the transmission. On vehicles equipped with shift rod assemblies, the rod transfers the indicated transmission selector level position through a bell crank assembly to a control rod. The control rod transfers the indicated position to the transmission assembly.
Automatic Transmission Manual Linkage Adjustments
- With the engine stopped and the parking brake applied, place the transmission selector lever at the steering column in the D (DRIVE position) for C6 applications and in the (D) (OVERDRIVE position) for AOD and E4OD applications, and hold against the D or (D) stop by applying a three-pound force to the selector lever knob.
- Loosen the shift rod adjusting nut at point A. Refer to the following illustrations.
- Shift the manual lever at the transmission into the (D) (overdrive) position for E4OD, by moving the lever all the way rearward, then forward two detents.
- With the selector lever and transmission manual lever in the(D) position, tighten the nut at point A to 17-24 Nm (12-18 ft-lb) torque. Use care to prevent motion between the stud and rod.
- Remove the three-pound force from the steering column selector lever knob.
- Operate the shift lever in all positions to make certain that the manual lever at the transmission is in full detent in all gear ranges. Re-adjust the linkage if required.
- On F-Super Duty Chassis Cab and Motorhome and Commercial Chassis recheck for correct operation of the automatic transmission selector indicator (PRN(D)21). Refer to Section 11-04A, Steering Column, Shift Rod Within Tube.
CAUTION: Under no circumstances will it be permissible to adjust linkage in any position other than the(D) position for E4OD applications.
Automatic Transmission Shift Cable Adjustment
- From inside the vehicle, place the column shift select lever in the DRIVE position (C6) of the OVERDRIVE (AOD and E4OD). Hang a three-pound weight on the selector lever.
- Raise vehicle on a hoist.
- Remove the shift cable from the transmission lever ball stud.
- Pull down the lock tab on the shift cable body.
- Position the transmission shift lever in the DRIVE position (C6) or the OVERDRIVE position (AOD and E4OD). This is three detents from the front-most lever position with the first position counting as one.
- Connect the cable end fitting to the transmission lever ball stud.
- Push up on the lock tab to lock the cable in the correctly adjusted position.
- Lower vehicle down from hoist and remove the three-pound weight from the column shift select lever.
- After making the adjustment, check for park engagement. Check the transmission control lever in all detent positions with the engine running to make sure correct detent/transmission actions. Readjust if necessary.