Question about 1983 Ford F 250

4 Answers

Question about dual fuel tanks on 83' F250

I recently bought an 1983 Ford F250 which didn't come with a manual. I realized after I got it home that it has two fuel tanks and I couldn't find a switch anywhere to switch between fuel tanks. I'm not very mechanically inclined so this may be a stupid question, but would there be a switch to pull from one tank or the other or does the reserve tank just gravity feed the primary tank?

Posted by on

  • 240cpa May 11, 2010

    Normally those vehicles had a simple rocker switch on the front of the dash to switch tanks. You might check under the seat, as the former owner may have made a modification to it. I don't think they feed automatically, but if they modified it, they may be what will happen. The inside of the glove box would be another place to look for the switch.



4 Answers

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer

The switch should be under the radio on the right side of the ac controls its a toggle type switch up and down

Posted on Jan 26, 2009

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert who has answered 20 questions.


    An expert that has over 10 points.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.

  • Contributor
  • 45 Answers

I have an 81. it is on the right sde of the heater control "front and back" 70ltrs per tank.

Posted on Apr 29, 2009

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 3 Answers

I have a 1983 ford f250 6.9 deisel and the fuel selector should be on the air conditioner thang..

Posted on Feb 03, 2009

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.

  • Master
  • 2,692 Answers

Usually their is a machanical valve on the floor board on the drivers side,which you turn to switch from one tank to the other. 

Posted on Dec 27, 2008

1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

When i ran out of gas in the front fuel tank does the rear automatically take over

On an '83, you have to manually switch the tanks to engage the other tank. The switch should be located under the dash on your left hand side.

Feb 23, 2015 | 1983 Ford F 250

1 Answer

I have a 90 F250 4x4 with dual gas tanks. The rear tank needed a new pump so had it replaced. Now, I got a new problem, the back tank pumped fuel into the front tank to a point gas flowed out the filler...

the diverter valve that shuts the flow off to fuel tank, and transferes over to other tank is bad. here is a picture of it--1990 f250 valve. selector_small.jpg

Nov 14, 2010 | 1990 Ford F250

1 Answer

What is the gas tank size of a 1983 Ford F 250, 351 Windsor, dual front tank?

16 gall front 24 gall back tank that is on my f 250 83 with a 351 in it

Nov 01, 2010 | 1983 Ford F 250

1 Answer

83 f250 with 460. will start and idle for 5-10

What a great truck I've had two, one I drove around in mexico for 6 months. You need to change the fuel filter. It is located under the truck on the fuel line coming from tank about even with the seat. You need a wrench set. Make sure you have the arrow on the new filter going the proper way, toward the motor. Good luck, thats a tough truck

Jul 12, 2010 | 1983 Ford F 250

1 Answer

Need to know which wires to use to hook up external gas gage 83 f250 only for front tank

the dark brown wire is for ground for the gauge,i believe.short to the frame before the tank and see if the gauge works

Aug 17, 2009 | 1983 Ford F 250

3 Answers

83 ford f-250 351. starts but will not idle

If its a (holley) motorcraft 2 bbl carb sounds like the power valve. They typically blow out whenever the engine backfires or they just wear out after time and flood the idle circuit.

Aug 04, 2009 | 1983 Ford F 250

2 Answers

Where is my fuel filter on 83 f250?

not 100% where it is on that truck but most are ethier in line or in the gas tank

Jul 08, 2009 | 1983 Ford F 250

1 Answer

Fuel tank ventilation

The vents are usually found in the filler neck of those ford dual tank units. They are designed for one way air release. Go to the dealership and pick the parts guys brain for the part number etc. and he will tell you where it is exactly. Then get the part and replace. Save a bundle. When you do the repair make sure you take all the neccessary precautions with any fuel repair.

Feb 10, 2009 | 1996 Ford F250 Crew Cab

Not finding what you are looking for?
Cars & Trucks Logo

631 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Ford Experts


Level 3 Expert

81400 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22326 Answers

gerry bissi

Level 3 Expert

4376 Answers

Are you a Ford Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides