Are these the lights you are talking about ?
Instrument Cluster and Panel Illumination
The instrument cluster and panel illumination is used to provide backlighting to the instrument panel, switches, and control components when the headlamp switch is in either the PARKING LAMPS ON or HEADLAMPS ON position. The level of intensity is adjustable by rotating the instrument panel dimmer switch either up to increase intensity or down to decrease intensity.
When the accessory delay relay is energized, switched voltage is supplied to the non-dimmable components and switches.
When the parking lamps or the headlamps are in the ON position the smart junction box (SJB) monitors the input from the instrument panel dimmer switch. The SJB sends a pulse-width modulated (PWM) voltage to the dimmable components and switches based on input received from the instrument panel dimmer switch. The SJB also sends a message over the controller area network (CAN) to the audio unit, and the instrument cluster to indicate the backlighting intensity level.
If you don't know about PWM an smart junction box your better off taking your vehicle to a quailified repair shop ! You don't the diagnostic tools or technical information . May have DTC'S - diagnostic trouble codes stored in the SJB (computer ). Do you know where SJB is located ?
Visual Inspection Chart
- Smart junction box (SJB) fuse 23 (15A)
- Illumination source(s)
- Auxiliary climate control switches (if equipped)
- Door lock control switches
- Window control switches
- Headlamp switch
- Dual electronic automatic temperature control (DEATC) module
- Audio unit
- Instrument cluster
- If an obvious cause for an observed or reported concern is found, correct the cause (if possible) before proceeding to the next step.
- If the cause is not visually evident, connect the diagnostic tool to the data link connector (DLC) and select the vehicle to be tested from the diagnostic tool menu. If the diagnostic tool does not communicate with the vehicle:
- check that the program card is correctly installed.
- check the connections to the vehicle.
- check the ignition switch position.
- If the diagnostic tool still does not communicate with the vehicle, refer to the diagnostic tool operating manual.
- Carry out the diagnostic tool data link test. If the diagnostic tool responds with:
- CAN circuits fault; all electronic control units no response/not equipped, refer to Section 418-00 .
- No response/not equipped for SJB, refer to Section 419-10 .
- System passed, retrieve and record the continuous diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), erase the continuous DTCs, and carry out the self-test diagnostics for the SJB.
- If the DTCs retrieved are related to the concern, go to the Smart Junction Box (SJB) Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index.
- If no DTCs related to the concern are retrieved, GO to Symptom Chart .
- The control illumination is inoperative
- Smart junction box (SJB)
- The instrument cluster illumination is inoperative
- CHECK the audio unit illumination for correct operation.
- If the audio unit illumination operates correctly, INSTALL a new instrument cluster. REFER to Section 413-01 . TEST the system for normal operation.
- If the audio unit illumination does not operate correctly, REFER to Section 418-00 to continue diagnosis of the communications network.
- The audio unit illumination is inoperative
- CHECK the instrument cluster illumination for correct operation.
- If the instrument cluster illumination operates correctly, REMOVE the audio unit. REFER to Section 415-01 . SEND it to an authorized repair facility. TEST the system for normal operation after the repair.
- If the instrument cluster illumination does not operate correctly, REFER to Section 418-00 to continue diagnosis of the communications network.