An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.
Re: 1999 dodge 2500 4x4 no heat in cab
You may have a couple different problems. the thermostat may be stuck open hterefore not allowing your engine to heat up properly. the coolant will just circulate through the engine and rad without heating up to proper temp. the other problem you may have is that you might have a plugged heater core thus not allowing the coolant to circulate through the core and give you heat.
I would recomend checking the thermostat and see if it is operating properly. an easy way to check it is by opening your rad when the engine is cold. start your truck and watch the coolant in the rad. If the thermostat is stuck open you should see the coolant circulating through the rad. This is not always the best way to check but it is an easy way to see. the other way which involves a little more work is to take the thermostat housing off and physically inspecting the thermostat.
hope this helps you out
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Check the water Coolant level in the coolant reservoir and also remove the radiator cap, which tends not to be on the radiator any more and check it is full. Also burp the system by removing air licks buy sqeezing the radiator hoses when the system is hot. Remove the radiator cap before you do this. You also need to check the thermostat for correct operation as it might be stuck closed. Remove it, put it in a pot of warm water put it on the stove and you should see it open before it comes to a simmer.
First thing I would do is flush the heater core with a 4 to 1 mixture of water and muratic acid. Put it in there and blow it out both ways 3 or 4 times. Let the acid mix set for about 10 minutes before blowing it out with air. This is a cheap fix, if it works. $7 and your time. Got to say though, it only works about 30% of the time. The other 70% is to remove the heater core. Dodges/Chrysler su(k. To get to the heater core, you have to drop the steering column, and remove the entire dash. Then remove the heater/A/C plenum to remove the heater core. Buy a manual to do this. Way to many hidden screws and bolts. This job costs about $800 at a garage. It takes about 8 hours to do, if you know what your doing.
Chances are it is indeed the heater core as even a spent heater unit will blow hot air off the engine when the ambient temps are hot . When the temps drop, the heat from the engine block is not enough to heat the cab properly. Have you tried the old cardboard in front of the radiator trick? Speaking of semi's,ever notice they cover their radiators in the winter? That's because it helps get their block temps up a little higher and assists with heating as well. It's not much help but do the buyer a favour and let them know beforehand. Have a good one. :)
it sounds like a vaccume leak check under hood for vaccume line that goes through the firewall trace this line and look for leaks next pull controll unit out of dash most times this unit is worn an will leak causing lak of controll of the heat an airconditioning
Sounds as if the engine is not building up temp due to cooling system working. If engine temp gage is reading low try covering 1/3 of radiator with a piece of cardboard "Bumper side" to reduce the cooling effect.. just watch temp and out side temps if warming up outside or heavy driving remove the blocking to allow full cooling
You probably just need to "burp" your cooling system. Run the car (from cold) with the radiator cap open and the heater on full blast. As the engine heats up and the water level goes down, fill it up until it stays full and starts to overflow.
it will be one of two things air is in the system or the thermostate is wrong or installe wrong. to get air out remove rad cap when cold turn heat on floor and run vehicle while watching fluid level in rad, sometimes you have to run at 1500 rpms for a while to get engine temp up but be careful when you let off throttle the water will come right at you so cap it off before you let off throttle
as a test, restrict a good portion of front of radiator with cardboard. is the engine running at 195 degrees? if engine temp is good, verify that both heater hoses going to heater core are hot. maybe heater control valve.