Question about 1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
I asked this on the forum, and answered your question there, but I am not sure if I should send the answer direct to you also. I measured the voltage at the battery with a multimeter at fast idle at 15.5 v., and with engine off it became 13 v., diminishing.
I suspect the voltage regulator. Must I replace the alternator? Should I hammer on the alternator to try to fix possible corroded ground? Any advice would be appreciated
It sounds like the internal regulator is faulty. If you are charging your battery with 15.5 volts, the battery will gas extensively and suffer from overheating. The normal charge rate for a normal flooded battery is 14.2 volts. A vehicle designed to have a calcium battery will have a slightly higher charging voltage but not 15.5V. The regulator is generally in the back of the alternator (depending on make and model) and can be replaced particularly if you you remove it from the engine. Smacking it with a hammer will not mend it.
Posted on Dec 29, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 19, 2016 | 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS
Oct 06, 2015 | 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
Aug 11, 2015 | 1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
Jul 06, 2014 | 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport 4WD
Dec 14, 2012 | 1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
Jun 28, 2012 | 1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
Jun 29, 2010 | 1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
Jan 07, 2010 | 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
Dec 14, 2009 | 1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
Dec 21, 2008 | 1997 Mitsubishi Montero
553 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: