My wipers are loose and get stuck when they touch each other. I attempted to tighten but it seems the bolt maybe stripped. Or it may be a plastic cover. I cant tell. How do I tighten them? Is it a plastic cover? If so how do I get it off?
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: Tightening windshield wipers on 2002 aztek
Try flipping it (the cover) up from bottom end with a screwdriver or something, and you'll probably find nut underneath it to tighten. Loosen nut off first, pull arm off, blow out shavings, put back on and snug real good but don't get carried away, they'll snap pretty easy if you reef too ******* that nut. Make sure wipers are off, and in park position before, so that you can tighten them in the position that they normally are when not in use, down at lower part of windshield.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
sounds as if the wiper arms are loose try tightening the bolts if still not sweeping the splines on the shafts may be worn smooth if thats the case look at relacing wiper mechanism a used one will be ok just make sure the slines are in good shape
When one windshield wiper isn't working like it should it may be a loose nut. The nut is located at the base of the wiper arm. There may a plastic tab covering the top of the wiper joint. You should see the nut when the tab's removed. <br />
Check the nut for tightness. If it's loose the wiper pattern will probably need readjusting. Reset the arm by loosening the nut to where you'll be able to move the arm. Set the arm where you believe the it should be. Tighten the nut and run the wipers. If the wipers are working well with each other, and you're satisfied with the windshield coverage finish tightening the nut. Replace the plastic tab.<br />
If the nut comes loose repeatedly you may want to apply a small amount of threadlock to the threads before readjusting the wioer and tightening. Use only a small amount of threadlock.
The wiper arms are 'pressed' onto the wiper motor spindles, often at times when only one of them stops operating, it is because the splines on the wiper that is no longer operating has become stripped out. and may need to either be replaced or tightened. I would recommend tightening it first, then replacing it if that does not correct it. You can access the hold down bolt (if it is not exposed) by taking a small screw driver and prying up the bolt cap. The bolt is usually a 13mm, and is more easily tightened by a ratchet and socket of the same size.
You may have caught the damage in time...both arms need to be tightened down onto the spline...be sure they are both aligned properly before tightening...to be sure, turn the wiper switch to off while car running...then with care turned off..be sure both arms are in the down position...tightening should work since the wiper motor is still working...Hope this helps...(This usually happens in winter...clearing ice and snow from the wipers...:)
If the driver side wiper is working then the linkage under the long thin grille at the lower of the windshield has disconnected. You can remove the screws from the wiper cover assy cover and usually snap the link rod back on fairly easy. This usually happens when folks do not take the time in winter to clear the windshield of ice before turning on the wipers. If the wiper blades are stuck to the windshield and you turn them on this linkage will pop off and you can also strip out the wiper arm where it bolts on to the pivot, you can should try and tighten this nut first and get lucky. See if the pivot is moving is so tighten the nut at the bottom of the wiper arm. If the pivot is not turning it is the link rod.
2002 Ford F-250 Windshield Wiper Motor
Removal & Installation
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. Turn the ignition switch ON until the wiper blades are straight up, then turn the ignition switch OFF.
2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
3. Remove the right-hand and left-hand windshield wiper arm and blade assemblies.
4. Remove the cowl top vent panels.
5. Detach the electrical hardness connector at the windshield wiper motor assembly.
6. Remove 3 wiper motor (module assembly) retaining bolts and remove the module assembly from the vehicle.
7. Remove the wiper linkage retaining bolt and remove the linkage from the wiper motor.
8. Remove 3 retaining nuts and remove the windshield wiper motor
9. Place the windshield wiper motor in position and install 3 retaining nuts. Tighten to 10-12 ft. lbs. (12-17 Nm).
10. Connect the wiper linkage to the windshield wiper motor and install the retaining bolt. Tighten the bolts to 14 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
11. Place the wiper motor (module assembly) in position and install 3 retaining bolts. Tighten the bolts to 6 ft. lbs. (9Nm).
12. Install the electrical hardness connector to the windshield wiper motor.
13. Connect the negative battery cable.
14. Allow the windshield wiper motor to cycle several times while checking for proper wiper motor operation.
15. Turn the windshield wiper motor to the OFF position to park the wiper motor in the park position.
16. Install the cowl top vent panels.
17. Install the wiper arm and blade assemblies. Install the retaining nuts and tighten to 22-29 ft. lbs. (30-40 Nm).
18. Connect the negative battery cable.
19. Check the windshield wiper motor for proper operation and the wiper arms for adjustment.
Check the attaching nut for the wiper blade. They will come loose over time. Pop up the cover on the wiper ,there is a 13mm nut try tightening it. Make sure the wiper arm and motor are in the park position before tightening.Good luck.