A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones). click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Good luck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Takes the master key to get it started again. The security gives you 3 tries to get the vehicle started, after the third time, it kills the starter. 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Note: You must have two valid keys to add a new key to the system.
1. Insert the first valid key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the
ON/RUN position for at least three seconds, but no longer than 15 seconds.
Then, Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and remove the first key.
2. Insert the second valid key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to
the ON/RUN position within 15 seconds. After 10 seconds, a chime will sound.
In addition, the Vehicle Security Light will begin to flash. Turn the ignition switch
to the LOCK position and remove the second key.
3. Insert the new key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the
ON/RUN position.within 60 seconds. After 10 seconds, a single chime will
sound. In addition, the Vehicle Security Light will stop flashing. To indicate that
programming is complete, the Vehicle Security Light will turn on again for
seconds and then turn off.
The new key is now programmed. The Remote Keyless Entry transmitter will
also be programmed during this procedure.
Repeat this procedure to program up to eight keys.
Hey Anon, Is this a total electronic key,,(push button start)..if so, its an electrical issue. If its a standard key urn ignition. try some DRY graphite on the key.. it will lubricate the switch without the mess of liquids... put the key in and out several times, put some more dry graphite on the key and repeat.. give this some time to work,, if this does not improve the switch.. its time for a new switch assy,
System operation System arms 5 seconds after switching ignition OFF. Switch ignition ON. Ensure clock LED illuminates for 3-5 seconds. If LED flashes rapidly at regular intervals for approximately 1 minute, then flashes at irregular intervals: Key code not recognised. Remove key and try again. Programming When System malfunction: LED illuminates for 1 minute, then flashes at irregular intervals. Key(s) added or replaced. NOTE: Replacement keys MUST have blue mark. Keys with red mark are NOT compatible with this system. How NOTE: Programming method using vehicle keys can be deactivated using diagnostic equipment. Obtain 2 programmed keys (A and B). Insert key A into ignition switch. Turn ignition switch to position II. Wait 1 second. Switch ignition OFF. Remove key A. Insert key B into ignition switch within 5 seconds. Turn ignition switch to position II. Wait 1 second. Switch ignition OFF. Remove key B. Within 10 seconds: Insert key to be programmed into ignition switch. Turn ignition switch to position II. Wait 4 seconds. Switch ignition OFF. Wait 5 seconds. Start engine. If engine does not start and clock LED flashes: Switch ignition ON. Wait at least 20 seconds. Switch ignition OFF. Repeat programming procedure. Repeat above procedure to program remaining keys. Keys can also be programmed using diagnostic equipment
It is something you can do yourself (for alot less money) I am assuming you are removing just the Lock Cylinder and not the entire Ignition switch? For JUST the Lock Cylinder: 1. Disconnect the negative side of the battery. 2. Remove the lower steering column cover under the steering column. It has three (3) screws. 3. Insert the Key and turn to the RUN position. 4. Using a small screw driver - depress the Lock Retaining Tab. It is located right of center on the column in the area of the Key insertion area. 5. Remove the Lock Cylinder. To Install: 1. Insert the Lock Cylinder in the "Lock" Position. 2. While pushing in - insert the Key and turn it clockwise to the Run Position. Let me know if this helped. If it is the entire Ignition Switch, let me know with an email to this post. I will send the additional infomation (for free).
4. Press and hold the driver side door lock switch in the UNLOCK position until step 8.
5. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and remove the key. (Do not turn the ignition key in the lock cylinder)
6. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and remove the key. (Do not turn the ignition key in the lock cylinder)
7. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder. (Do not turn the ignition key in the lock cylinder) Leave key in the ignition cylinder.
8. Release the door lock switch. The vehicle will sound three beeps in order to verify the Program Mode has been activated.
9. Press the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons together on the keyless remote and hold unitl the vehicle beeps twice to verify that the keyless remote has been successfully programmed. This may take approximately 15 seconds.
10. Perform the previous step (9) to program up to four keyless remotesm, including any old ones.
11. Remove the ignition key to exit Program Mode.
Thanks for using Fixya - a 4 THUMBS rating is appreciated for answering your FREE question.
You have to use a pin or paper lip to insert in hole in igmition switch to release the lock cylinder. The key has to be in "on" position I think.
Disconnect battery ground cable (14301) .
Turn lock cylinder key to RUN position.
Place a 3.17mm (1/8-inch) diameter wire pin or small drift punch in hole in upper steering column shroud (3530) under ignition switch . Press retaining pin while pulling out on ignition switch to remove it from lock cylinder housing (22074) .
Install ignition switch by turning it to RUN position and pressing retaining pin. Insert ignition switch into lock cylinder housing . Ensure ignition switch is fully seated and aligned in interlocking washer before turning key to OFF position. This will permit cylinder retaining pin to extend into lock cylinder housing hole.
Rotate ignition switch, using lock cylinder key, to ensure correct mechanical operation in all positions.
Here is the factory procedure to program a new key(s), I recomment only factory keys, you need to use the working key to do the procedure;
1. Insert a previously programmed coded key into the ignition.
2. Turn the ignition from the 3 (OFF) position to the 4 (ON) position. Keep the ignition in the 4(ON) position for at least one second, but no more than 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition to the 3 (OFF) position, and remove the coded key from the ignition.
4. Within ten seconds of removing the previously programmed coded key, insert the other previously programmed coded key into the ignition.
5. Turn the ignition from the 3 (OFF) position to the 4 (ON) position. Keep the ignition in the 4 (ON) position for at least one second but not more than 10 seconds.
6. Turn the ignition to the 3 (OFF) position, and remove the second key from the ignition.
7. Within twenty seconds of removing the previously programmed coded key, insert the unprogrammed key (new/valet key) into the ignition.
8. Turn the ignition from the 3 (OFF) position to the 4 (ON) position. Keep the ignition in the 4 (ON) position for at least one second.
9. Your new unprogrammed key is now programmed. If the key has been successfully programmed it will start the vehicle’s engine and the theft indicator light will illuminate for three seconds and then go out. If the key was not successfully programmed, it will not start your vehicle’s engine and the theft indicator light will flash on and off rapidly. If failure repeats, bring your vehicle to your dealer to have the new key(s) programmed.
To program additional new unprogrammed key(s), repeat this procedure from step 1 for each additional key