Question about 2006 Ford Mustang

3 Answers

Water in rear quarter panel

When it rains or I go to a car wash, I get
water in my rear quater panels of my
2006 convertible. It won't drain out.
How do I get the water to drain &
how do I prevent the water from
getting in?

Posted by on

  • a610guy
    a610guy Dec 20, 2008

    Thanks chrischronic

    Ford says there aren't any drain plugs in the

    rear quarter panels and their solution is to

    remove the inside side panels and dry-vac

    it!!!! I said "After every time it rains or I

    wash it?" He just looked at me and

    blinked his eyes. When I said I was

    going to drill holes to let the water out

    he started laughing until he saw that

    I wasn't kidding. He stopped laughing

    and said "Ok, you're all ready to go".

    Glad you had the same idea that I had.

    Tired of hearing the water slosh around

    and don't want any rusting.

  • Papillonrus Apr 27, 2009

    06 Mustang Convertible with water sloshing inside the drivers rear quarter panel behind the door. There is standing water in the rear quarter panel which cannot be seen from the top after removing the interior molding inside of the rear window. What is the fix for this?



3 Answers

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 2 Answers

2006 mustag,there is drian plugs for the quarter panels, they are in the rear of the car, look for the spot where the jack fits the frame, there is a hole in the middle, this is not it, about 2 in behind that is a small 1 in wide by 1/2 slot that is the drian hole, stick a flat head screwdriver up the slot to clear it, dirt, leaves, and pine needles fall down the side of yor convertable and clog the holes, also if you have had water leak from under the dash it is also a drian plug cloged, open the hood and remove the 2 clips that hold the plastic cover next to the passenger wiper, pull the plastic cover off, its tight but just yank it out it will not break, you can now see the cabin air filter, you have to reach to the right of the air filter and put your had all the way to the bottom of the firewall, to your elbow, and feel around for a rubber drian, it is pluged with something, push the stuff all the way through with your finger and clean out any obstruction, NO MORE LEAK! this will save many people so many headaces, please post it to the front of the page, this could save people hundreds of dollars!!

Posted on Feb 24, 2012

  • jcvlwood
    jcvlwood Sep 30, 2012

    David is the drain hole under the car or where the jack is in the trunk ? Please let me know and Thank you !


  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer

This is a known issue whne the car is running down the road a vent flap will open up and road spray will get into the trunk. There is also issues with the convertable model. that isknown by ford.

Posted on Feb 28, 2009

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Expert
  • 235 Answers

Check with ford dealer to see if any known problems with this. you can drain the water by drilling 2 small holes whare the water is standing but be sure to only drill intill you just brake through. if it were mine and the dealer has no known problems then i would have someone like water doctor to look at it to stop the leak all together

Posted on Dec 18, 2008

1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

2 Answers

Water in trunk of toyota avalon

Either your rear windows leaks or the boot seal is cracked, torn or not glued properly on the car body flange. Check these first, or try and sit in the boot with a strong torch and have someone to hose the rear part of the car. Usually you'll find the leak and fix it.

Aug 12, 2014 | 2006 Toyota Avalon XLS

1 Answer

When it rains my sebring convertible has water sloshing in the rear somewhere. is there a drain that empties this problem if so where is it exactly could you please tell me exactly were the drain holes are...

yes there are holes. the holes are on both sides of the back window. climb in back seat and look under the back window on the side rear quarter panel inside you will one on each side

Nov 04, 2012 | 1998 Chrysler Sebring

1 Answer

Water getting into quater panels near rear hatch on 2000 chevrolet blazer

There are flapper valve drains on the 1/4's, clear them.

Jun 16, 2012 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

The left rear tail light housing gets filled with water every time it rains. We don't know how the water is getting in. Any solutions?

The gasket between the light assembly and the body is a poor design and lets water into the housing when it rains hard after it dries out after a few years. Taking the lights off and replacing the gasket or adding sealant may help. I drilled a small hole in the bottom of each plastic housing for the water to drain out and resealed the lights too. Any water that gets in drains out the tailgate drain holes. Problem solved.

Apr 07, 2010 | 2006 Buick Rendezvous

1 Answer

Have a leak in my Mustang 2003 convertable. Drivers side back floor when it rains gets water on floor. Need to know how to fix this problem

I have had this problem before, remove the inner trim panel on the rear look down at the bottom of the fender well there is a drain hole there, it is probably plugged up, it is there to drain rain water out of the car that comes in when it rains. Hope this helps, let me know.

Nov 19, 2009 | 2003 Ford Mustang

4 Answers

Water keeps filling up under passenger seat in rear of car

My 2001 passat did the same thing. my leak was coming from the door panel. Open your door and use a water hose to simulate rain water running against your window. Water should run into door and drain out of several drain holes at the very bottom of your door. Check for water leaking from the bottom of your plastic door panel. The water runs down into the door and leaks through your inner door panel seal causing water to leak inside from the bottom of your door panel and run into the floorboard instead of draining out the water hole in the bottom of your door.

Aug 26, 2009 | 1999 Volkswagen Passat

3 Answers

When it rains water in in the rear sloshing

The 1997 Sebring convertible has rocker panels (the metal that goes from front to back wheel well and directly under the doors) that have five drain channels each.  The sloshing noise occurs when the drain holes plug up and a rocker panel fills up with water.  Often, the water will then leak into the right rear footwell, soaking the carpet.  A quick fix is to locate the drain holes and run a flat (unused) twistem-tie (they come with your trash bags) through each hole several times.  Commonly, doing so will result in a deluge of water, along with spider web parts, leaf parts, and whatever else washed into the rocker panel fromo the rear window.

To find the drain holes, just 1) lie under the car with a flashlight, or 2) sit alongside the car with one of those mirrors that come on a telescoping stick.  Since I don't like to lie in dirty water, I use the mirror to guide my twistem-tie (or ice pick or spring wire or whatever) into each hole.  NOTE:  the drain holes are flat and run at a 30 degree angle from back to front on the right side and from front to back on the left side.

May 17, 2009 | 1997 Chrysler Sebring

2 Answers

When it rains water in in the rear sloshing

Many cars do have drain holes that are along the rain wells, or where the rain flows down around the lip of the trunk. If you pop open the trunk, look along the lip of the trunk for what appears to be craters or indentations along this trail. You may have to run your finger along the rim to find them. Many times they fill with dirt, or other debris and get plugged. This happened to me and I had someone blow them clear with an air hose.

Mar 04, 2009 | 1997 Chrysler Sebring

1 Answer

1997 sebring convertible water run off is there a holding tank

put the car on a lift and look for short plastic tube about the diameter of your pinky and clear it out , most likely dirt or leaves plug it up

Feb 13, 2009 | 1997 Chrysler Sebring

1 Answer

Convertible leaks

Look for a plugged drain at both rear side panels. Water from the top can enter the car, but it is then discharged out thru drains. If the drains are clogged, you will have this problem. Same for any other Toyota convertible.

Aug 24, 2008 | 1998 Toyota Celica

Not finding what you are looking for?
2006 Ford Mustang Logo

1,973 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Ford Experts


Level 3 Expert

78267 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22326 Answers


Level 3 Expert

5655 Answers

Are you a Ford Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides