Question about 2000 Ford Mustang

1 Answer

I took off the transmission fluid pan and a plastic yellow object

With a black ring around it popped off the car.

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 20 times.


    An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.

  • Expert
  • 98 Answers

Is it ruber on an auto tranny? it should go around the part of the transmision filter that plugs in to the bottom of the tranny, sorry very veige details here, so hope this is what kinda of tranny or what the ring was made of or looked like. let me know if you have more details.

Posted on Dec 02, 2008


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

VORTEC TM 8100 V8. Why does it jerk and pop when shifting automatic transmission?

Could be an engine or transmission mount. If the transmission flares(hesitates then hits hard). I would service the transmission first, fluid and filter. I would also add a bottle of Lubeguard to it. When you pull the pan, check for metal, any kind of flakes or chunks in it, Put the pan back on and put the old fluid back in. Time for a rebuild or replace. The black stuff around the magnet is normal wear. If you have the check engine or transmission light on. Get the codes.

Jul 26, 2015 | Chevrolet Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

While changing the transmission pan gasket and filter i noticed a piece of plastic in the pan. it is about 2 inches long and looks like a mushroom with an o-ring on the head of it. i cant figure out where...

Hi, welcome to my name is Shawn and I will be answering your question.

That yellow plug is from the factory. They use that to plug the dipstick tube hole before they install the dipstick tube to keep the fluid from running out. Just throw out the yellow plastic piece. When they install the dipstick tube it pushes the piece into the trans pan where it stays until you change the fluid and throw it out.

I hope my assistance helped you and resolved your concern, if you need further assistance please ask.

Aug 09, 2011 | Mercury Cougar Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Found a plastic plunger looking part with an o ring when i took off the transmission cover on my 98 mustang. No idea what it is or where it goes

What you most likely are seeing is a plug that the factory puts in the filler tube of the transmision to keep foreign objects from accidentally getting into the transmission while the car is going down the assembly line. Once the transmission is ready to be filled with fluid this usually tan or white plug gets pushed into the pan area and will stay safely there until someone removes the pan for service work at which point it can be discarded.

Jul 05, 2010 | 1998 Ford Mustang

1 Answer

Unidentified part in trans pan. plastic mushroom shaped prat w/ o-ring around the head of it

This is a disposable piece that was used by the manufacturer when the transmission was initially filled with fluid at the factory. Just throw it away.

Jun 26, 2010 | 2001 Ford Mustang

1 Answer

When i took off the pan to change the transmission fluid a small object fell out with it. And i have no idea what it goes to

If it is a yellow ish color almost ball with an oring on it and a stick protruding on one side it is instaled in the transmission case where the dipstick tube goes. It is only there to prevent fluid from spilling durring vehicle assembly at the factory. Just put it in the trash. it serves no other purpose after vehicle assembly.

Jun 18, 2010 | 2001 Ford Mustang

1 Answer

Transmission fluid leaking near front left tire - 98 Cirrus

if your talking about the transmission oil pan,it will be black with about 12 bolts holding it up.

Dec 24, 2009 | 1998 Chrysler Cirrus

2 Answers

Transmission oil leaking from where wire harness enters transmission. I dropped the pan and think I may need to drop the valve body and then the black plastic assembly and don't know if there is any...

Be to let the things cool down before you get started. The cat converter stays hot for a long time and can give you a good burn otherwise.

The dealership has the AA Plug Adapter Part # 68021352 (for my 2006 Chrysler 300 Touring) for around $15.

Place an oil pan underneath because when you swap the housings, a decent amount of fluid will come out.

Turn the Yellow plastic dial counter-clockwise to remove the wire plug. Do not mess with this plug, especially the orange o-ring on this plug.

What you will be replacing is the plug housing that is still in the transmission.

Use a 7mm socket to remove the small bolt in the center of this plug. Make sure the screw is completely free so as not to do any damage to the valve body when you remove the black housing.

Go ahead and remove the housing and allow the fluid to drain. Up to a quart of fluid will come out.
Replace the housing with the now one, lining up the marks. Put your fingers inside the housing and use a little muscle to get it in, then tighten down the bolt.

Reattached the wire harness, add a quart of fluid, and you should be back in business. If you have lost a lot of fluid, be sure to take it by the dealership immediately to check the level.

Good luck!
Derek Nicodemus
San Diego Chrysler 300 Limo Owner
Skyy Limousine Services, Inc.

Nov 17, 2008 | 2005 Chrysler 300

2 Answers

Flushing the transmission

To change the transmission fluid make sure you have purchased: 1. filter with the o-ring 2. MOPAR ATF + 3 Type 7176, p/n 05010124AA fluid (I believe it took 6 quarts?) You are not changing the torque converter fluid so there will not be 12 quarts needed.). 3. Pan gasket. You should receive the new neoprene reusable pan gasket. This is because the recommendation is to change the transmission fluid every 25,000 miles. 4. There is a fluid additive to prevent foaming? Use it.

Raise the vehicle on a hoist. Remove the pan bolts. Remove the old gasket material with a plastic scraper. There could be metal transfer if you use a metal scraper. Clean the pan carefully. Clean the magnet that sits in the pan as it collects the minute metal shavings. If you see an excess of larger particles, you really should have the transmission inspected at a shop. Replace the filter carefully looking at its arrangement before removing. It took a second look to install a new filter because I did not watch how it was situated before removing. Use a thin coat of transmission fluid on the new pan gasket. Orient reusable gasket properly with bolt holes and assemble oil pan and gasket to transmission case. Tighten oil pan bolts to 19 Nm (165 in lbs.). CAUTION: DO NOT OVERFILL TRANSAXLE. DO NOT ADD OIL IF LEVEL IS BETWEEN: LOWER HOLES FOR WARM OIL (100?F). UPPER HOLES FOR HOT OIL (180?F.).

Jun 12, 2008 | Chrysler Neon Cars & Trucks

Not finding what you are looking for?
2000 Ford Mustang Logo

Related Topics:

140 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Ford Experts


Level 3 Expert

77514 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22306 Answers


Level 3 Expert

5627 Answers

Are you a Ford Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides