Question about 1989 Chevrolet Cavalier
Starts first time when you get to point b it will not start after about 2 hrs it will start. it is a 89 cavalier with 2.0 i think. I beleave it is the coil I see the coil but how to get to it I dont know Please help me out
I hate to tell you this but they are not fun to remove. Do not try this when the car is hot you will be burnt by the exhaust if you do! You have to reach up the backside of the engine and most of the work can only be done using one hand. Make sure you number your wires so you can put them back in the right place. If you mess up the factory coils have numbers on the most of the time and number one plug will be on left side, first plug, if you are facing the car. It’s hard to tell which wire you have when it goes behind the engine. You can have the coil checked at Autozone or Advance they should be able to help you with that! If for some reason they can’t post again and I can send the information needed to check them if you think you can do it yourself.
See Figure 1
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
3. Detach the assembly electrical connectors.
4. Tag and disconnect the spark plug wires.
5. Unfasten the three ignition coil assembly-to-block bolts, then remove the assembly from the engine.
Fig. 1: Exploded view of the ignition coil assembly - 2.2L (VIN 4) engine shown
6. Position the ignition coil assembly to the engine. Install the mounting bolts, then tighten to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).
7. Connect the spark plug wires to the proper coils, as tagged during removal.
8. Attach the coil electrical connectors.
9. Carefully lower the vehicle, then connect the negative battery cable.
A 2.2 and a 2.0 are basically the same engine.
Posted on Nov 28, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 10, 2013 | Dodge Durango Cars & Trucks
Dec 09, 2011 | 1996 Oldsmobile Achieva
Feb 16, 2011 | 1998 Nissan Quest
Dec 26, 2010 | GMC Sierra 1500 Cars & Trucks
Nov 23, 2010 | 2000 Chevrolet Blazer
Sep 09, 2010 | 1986 Ford Ranger 2WD
Nov 20, 2009 | 1998 Honda Accord
Mar 14, 2009 | 1993 Chrysler New Yorker
112 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: