1990 2.3 stalls in drive or reverse but will happily idle in park
1990 2.3 litre is a engine with 8 sparkplugs to 4 cylinders the car will start fine no problems there but when i shift into drive or reverse the car will stall and quit completly (car is a automatic transmission) also when trying to shift to drive or reverse the push button on the shifter has to be forced powerfully before it releases park and goes to drive and then the car stalls. The problem seems to be limited to just the transmission but could be some kind of vaccum problem the check engine light also comes on but only when it is shifted before then there is no check engine light
any help would be greatly appreciated and thankyou in advance from curtis
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Feb 11, 2006 - engine dies when shifting into reverse or drive ... After it dies it starts right up and idles fine in park or neutral. ... these ignition items because you weretrying to cure the stalling, or, did the stalling occur after you replaced these items? ...The only thing that kept the car running was adjusting the Idle screw up.
Jul 5, 2012 - 18 posts - 4 authors
Just to give an update on my car - I've been having an issue with the car stalling when moving from Park into Reverse or Drive (I have automatic). ... I have been playing with the idle advance trying to get more ... I put in the remainder of the AT fluid I had on hand and the car never died on shifting after that.
Dirty air filter, dirty throttle body...try 2 bottles of gas line fuel injector cleaner...has your car been parked for awhile? Heet gas additive will work on any low gas tank sludge that you may have. Hope this helps.
Wow!!! Now that's a headfull of problems....
This could be a great many things...
Check these before you sell. I have a '93 Aerostar and can't live without it.
1. Check idle speed
2. Fuel filter may be clogged or water in the fuel system.
3. Choke improperly adjusted or sticking.
4. Distributor components damp or damaged.
5. Faulty emissions components.
6. Faulty or incorrectly gapped spark plugs/ Also check wires.
7. Vacuum leak at the carburetor/fuel injection unit or vacuum hoses.
8. On 1986 models, stalling during idle or deceleration may be caused by sludge in the throttlebody. (2.3 litre engine)
9. On 1986 & 1987 models with a 2.3 litre engine,hesitation or stalling during acceleration may be caused by carbon build-up on the intake valves.....I hope this helps!! Adios