Question about 1987 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class
Sunroof opens fine with switch but wont close with switch have to close manually and how do you get the back of it to lift up to be flush with roof of car
Something is keeping it from closing all the way? is the front of the roof up against the body? if so than the track is broken
Posted on Dec 17, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 31, 2016 | Cars & Trucks
To check the condition of your original sunroof guides:
- Gl*** in closed position.
- Locate & remove 3 torx bolts on each side of sunroof glass. Lift glass out of sunroof opening & set aside in a safe place.
- Locate "J" shaped cover plate at front of sunroof track assembly. Remove 2 torx bolts from each cover plate.
- Lift up bracket to remove.
- Inspect the plastic guides on each side. The sunroof cables attach to guides on front outer corner. Inspect this area closely for damage.
- Do not operate the sunroof with the J plates removed.Troubleshooting:If the sunroof guides are not broken & the glass is a uniform height along the rear edge your problem may be a stripped gear inside the motor. The motor has a manual override:
- Get access to the motor by removing the map light/switch console or lowering the front of the headliner.
- Insert a large standard screwdriver into the nylon bushing at the center of the motor hub. Push up & turn the screwdriver to manually move the sunroof glass. If the unit will fully open & close manually, you most likely only need a replacement motor.
If your sunroof is stuck in the open position follow these steps to get it closed:
- Remove the glass.
- Try to close the unit without the glass. Many times one side will still be operational and close correctly.
- Try to slide the inoperable lift arm forward. If it moves, slide it forward until it stops.
- You now need to slide the original plastic guide forward to lower the arm to the closed position. Using a standard screwdriver, push it forward. The lift arm should begin to lower.
- If the lift arm will still not fully lower, remove the J plate as explained above, sometimes the sunroof cable will need to be lifted up to allow the guide to fully slide forward.
- Reinstall glass.
May 21, 2016 | Cars & Trucks
Jan 15, 2015 | 2005 Nissan Altima
Jan 05, 2015 | 1996 BMW 740i
Oct 20, 2012 | 2001 Oldsmobile Alero
Jul 28, 2011 | 1999 Cadillac Eldorado
May 23, 2010 | 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE
May 08, 2010 | 2003 Jeep Liberty
Jul 29, 2008 | 2001 Volkswagen Golf
634 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: