Question about 2005 Chrysler 300

2 Answers

Transmission oil leaking from where wire harness enters transmission. I dropped the pan and think I may need to drop the valve body and then the black plastic assembly and don't know if there is any replaceable seals or not.

Posted by on

  • artwuestman Nov 17, 2008

    Thank you.

    So do I need to drop the valve body and then the black plastic assembly to replace this seal and can I get this at my local auto parts store or is it a dealer only item?



2 Answers

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer

Be to let the things cool down before you get started. The cat converter stays hot for a long time and can give you a good burn otherwise.

The dealership has the AA Plug Adapter Part # 68021352 (for my 2006 Chrysler 300 Touring) for around $15.

Place an oil pan underneath because when you swap the housings, a decent amount of fluid will come out.

Turn the Yellow plastic dial counter-clockwise to remove the wire plug. Do not mess with this plug, especially the orange o-ring on this plug.

What you will be replacing is the plug housing that is still in the transmission.

Use a 7mm socket to remove the small bolt in the center of this plug. Make sure the screw is completely free so as not to do any damage to the valve body when you remove the black housing.

Go ahead and remove the housing and allow the fluid to drain. Up to a quart of fluid will come out.
Replace the housing with the now one, lining up the marks. Put your fingers inside the housing and use a little muscle to get it in, then tighten down the bolt.

Reattached the wire harness, add a quart of fluid, and you should be back in business. If you have lost a lot of fluid, be sure to take it by the dealership immediately to check the level.

Good luck!
Derek Nicodemus
San Diego Chrysler 300 Limo Owner
Skyy Limousine Services, Inc.

Posted on Jan 12, 2009

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert who has answered 20 questions.


    An expert that has over 10 points.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.

  • Expert
  • 147 Answers

Yes there is a replacement seal

Posted on Nov 17, 2008


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

How to replace auto transmission solenoids in audi a4b5 1.8 1997

In general you drain the transmission fluid from the pan, drop the transmission pan and filter, then the solenoids are readily visible and accessible. Disconnect the wiring harness on the solenoid and the fastener/lock on the solenoid and remove it. Worst case you may have to disconnect the solenoid wiring harness and drop the valve body. I've found audiworld a great source of information. Get a Bentley manual for your car.

Jun 22, 2014 | 1997 Audi A4

1 Answer

What is involved with replacing the oil pan on 1998 GMC Sierra?

  • Step 1 Raise the truck using the proper equipment. Use a ramp or a jack and jack stands to support the vehicle securely by following all directions for use provided by this equipment's manufacturer.
  • Step 2 Drain all oil from the Silverado by placing an oil drip pan under the vehicle's engine block, directly under the oil drain plug. The drain plug is located on the oil pan, between the vehicle's tires underneath the vehicle. Use a wrench to loosen and remove the plug allowing the oil to drain into the pain below.
  • Step 3 Notice the various items attached to the oil pan or in the way of the oil pan dropping. For the oil pan to drop, remove the negative battery cable, front differential (only for four-wheel drive vehicles) and the under body shield by using a wrench or socket set.
  • Step 4 Remove the oil pan shield by loosening the four bolts holding it in place along the edges of the shield. Then, remove the cross brace, oil filter, the transmission to oil pan bolts and the oil level sensor.
  • Step 5 Follow the removal of those pieces by removing the bolts from the two front wiring harness, the engine wiring harness retainer, engine oil cooler pipe to oil bolts and the transmission oil cooler pipe retainer using a wrench. Located the closeout covers and bolts located on each side of the engine and remove them.
  • Step 6 Disconnect each of the oil pan bolts using a wrench that will allow the oil pan to drop. The oil pan gasket will also fall off and replacement should occur before reinstalling the oil pan.

  • Read more: How to Drop the Oil Pan in a Chevy Silverado |

    Aug 15, 2010 | GMC Sierra 1500 Cars & Trucks

    1 Answer

    How to change a transmission filter on 2002 gt grand am

    The transmission filter is in the transmission so your going to have to drop the transmission pan. The best thing your going to have to do is to bring it to a transmission shop or any GM dealer and have them service the transmission.
    There is no dipstick on a 2002 Grand Am. You'll need to find a small plug on the passenger side of the transmission - look slightly behind the oil pan. Should need 11mm socket to take it out (it's obviously a plug - it doesn't look like it's holding anything together) If no fluid comes out, it's low. To add, you'll need to take off the airbox and find the red cap that either says 'trans fluid' or just has a picture of a gear.
    What ever you do, do not do a transmission flush. It common for the transmission to fail shortly after the transmission flush has been performed.
    If your going to attempt to service your transmission, you need to drop the transmission oil pan to remove and replace the transmission oil filter. Spray down the valve body with brake parts cleaner and then replace the oil filter that just slides back in place, make sure you remove the old O ring that holds the oil filter in place. Using the old O ring may result in the oil filter dropping from the valve body.
    Once you have reinstalled everything, you can refill the transmission through the tube mentioned under the air box.
    Thank you for using fixya and good luck.

    Apr 26, 2010 | 2002 Pontiac Grand Am

    1 Answer

    Need to know where trans selnoid is on 97 gmc sierra 6cyl

    The 1-2 /3-4 shift solenoid is located at the back of the valve body in the transmission pan. You don't have to drop the valve body, just the transmission pan and the solenoid is held on by a simple clip. Once the solenoid is accessible, disconnect the wire leads and undo the clip and the shift solenoid slides out from the valve body.
    Good luck and thank you for using Fixya, Note that most of the time when there is a solenoid failure, it's caused by a faulty wire lead from the ECM to the transmission. The wire harness runs from the ECM on the passenger side fender to the passenger side of the transmission by the Catalytic Converter. Inspect the wire connection on the transmission first before trying to replace the solenoid to save you time and money.
    Thank you for using Fixya and good luck

    Mar 17, 2010 | 1997 GMC Sierra

    1 Answer

    4l80e not seeing signal to shift above 2nd gear. Its a problem with the electrical connector to the valve body. I push on it and it'll shift fine for a day. I unplug the connector to find the male part...

    Your going to have to replace the connector, if your transmission is close to needing a oil and filter change. Have the transmission shop ether replace the harness or tighten up the connection when the transmission pan is dropped. 99% of the time a transmission shop will clean up any loose connections like the one you have free of charge when you do a transmission service. The repair is it does not require any parts to be replaced as mentioned free of charge and at worst the most you'll pay for is the harness since your paying for the labor of having the oil and filter changed and it takes the same amount of time to replace the harness as it does to wait for the oil to drain from the valve body. Good luck and hope this helps.

    Mar 05, 2010 | 1997 Chevrolet C/K 3500

    1 Answer

    Is the shift cellenoid inside or outside the transmission?

    It's in side the transmission, when you drop the transmission pan you can see them on the valve body. You don't have to drop the valve body to replace them, but if your having problem with the shift solenoid. Check the wire harness from the ECM to the transmission and all the wire clip on the transmission first. Good luck and keep me posted.

    Jan 13, 2010 | 2006 Chevrolet HHR

    2 Answers

    Transmission shifts from 1 to 2nd just fine shifts to 3rd and like it goes into neutral overdrive is the same

    Check the transmission fluid level to make sure it's at the proper level. Have a transmission shop determine with a scanner that if it's your 3-4 solenoid or the wire harness has gone bad and will need to be replaced. You have a 4L60E transmission and this is common if your Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is faulty and needs to be replaced, easy fix, just replace the TPS on the throttle body. Your Electronic Pressure Control valve EPC is faulty due to dirt from dirty transmission oil and filter, or the solenoid has gone bad or the wire harness on the passenger side by the catalytic converter has gone bad from corrosion or loose. Try disconnect the wire harness on that side and cleaning it out with break parts cleaner and reattaching it to see if that helps before you drop the transmission pan to get to the solenoid. The solenoid is around $45.00 and take about 10 min to replace once the transmission pan is replaced so this should cost around $150.00 repair with the oil and filter replaced also have them replace the boost valve "$45.00" with a 0.490" boost valve to bring up the transmission line pressure to help you get more life from your transmission and should be replaced every 60,000 miles as a part of the transmission service. Good luck and keep me posted, be glad to help you get your transmission running 100% again soon.

    Jan 05, 2010 | 1995 Chevrolet Tahoe

    1 Answer

    Where is shift solenoid for 91 s-10 blazere

    The shift solenoid is in the valve body in the transmission, i recommend that if you have not worked on a 4L60 transmission before. Have a transmission tech do it for you, if money is the issue. You can drop the transmission oil pan and then drop the valve body and bring  it to a transmission shop and have them clean and replace the shift solenoid in the valve body just to make sure you replaced the right solenoid. There are more then one. Good luck and hope this helps. 

    Jul 01, 2009 | 2000 Chevrolet Blazer

    Not finding what you are looking for?
    2005 Chrysler 300 Logo

    1,434 people viewed this question

    Ask a Question

    Usually answered in minutes!

    Top Chrysler Experts


    Level 3 Expert

    81423 Answers

    Colin Stickland
    Colin Stickland

    Level 3 Expert

    22359 Answers


    Level 3 Expert

    814 Answers

    Are you a Chrysler Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

    Answer questions

    Manuals & User Guides