Question about 1998 Ford Taurus
Will turn ignition on, engine rotates and briefly starts - idled around 500 rpm at one point for about 5 secs. When I feather the accelerator the engine will stay running but when I let off it either stops immediately or ides around 500 rpm for a few seconds then dies. The power cable connected to the alternator was fried, I've replaced alternator, the cable end, and the mega fuse but problem still persists.
Have you run the test to get the trouble codes out of Powertrain control modules menory, that is a good place to start. post the code(s) back here on this thread and I will help you.
Posted on Nov 15, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
The engine control module (ECM) learns the idle position of the throttle plate to ensure the correct idle. Anytime the throttle body is cleaned or replaced, the ECM must learn the new throttle position. The idle may be unstable or a DTC may set if the throttle position is not learned.
Conditions for Running the Throttle Learn Procedure
• DTCs P0101, P0102, P0103, P0107, P0108, P0111, P0112, P0113, P0506, and P0507 are not set.
• The engine speed is between 450-4,000 RPM.
• The manifold absolute pressure (MAP) is greater than 5 kPa.
• The mass air flow (MAF) is greater than 2 g/s.
• The ignition 1 voltage is greater than 10 volts.
Important: Do NOT perform this procedure if DTCs are set. Refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code
(DTC) List - Vehicle.
1. Start and idle the engine in PARK for 3 minutes.
2. With a scan tool, monitor desired and actual RPM.
3. The ECM will start to learn the new idle cells and Desired RPM should start to decrease.
4. Ignition OFF for 60 seconds.
5. Start and idle the engine in PARK for 3 minutes.
6. After the 3 minute run time the engine should be idling normal.
Important: During the drive cycle the check engine light may come on with idle speed DTCs. If idle speed codes are set, clear codes so the ECM can continue to learn.
* If the engine idle speed has not been learned the vehicle will need to be driven at
speeds above 70 km/h (44 mph) with several decelerations and extended idles.
7. After the drive cycle, the engine should be idling normally.
* If the engine idle speed has not been learned, turn OFF the ignition for 60 seconds
and repeat step 6.
8. Once the engine speed has returned to normal, clear DTCs.
Mar 04, 2014 | 1995 GMC Sierra
Dec 04, 2013 | Cars & Trucks
Jul 12, 2013 | 1990 Toyota Land Cruiser
Jan 27, 2010 | 2000 Ford Windstar
Oct 21, 2009 | 2004 Nissan Quest
Jun 19, 2009 | 1991 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Mar 25, 2009 | 2000 Nissan Xterra
Mar 12, 2009 | 1993 Ford Probe
Mar 11, 2009 | 1999 Mercury Cougar
Jun 04, 2008 | 1991 Honda Accord
227 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: