Question about 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche
I just purchased a new tailgate handle from GM parts. Need some tips on how to replace old broken one. Do I only remove star screws from the inside of the tailgate? Do I need to remove some of the armour on the tailgate? Thanks for your detailed directions.
I just finished replacing mine. It took about an hour. Here's my step by step.
1. take off the two outside bolts on the inside of the tailgate behind the handle.
2. Now gently pull off the cladding around the latch. It is still held on by two christmas tree style holders.
3. Tie some long ropes to each of the two rods that the handle pulls together. You don't want them getting away from you.
4. Now free the rods from the plastic clamps. This is the point of no return. Mine would not go back together. A small screw driver shoved in from the end along the seam will pop them easily.
5. Now remove the remaining 3 T40 bolts on the back of the tailgate.
6. The handle assembly is now free to come out. Hold on to it as you lift the tailgate back up. Don't shut the tailgate all the way.
7. Work the old handle out. I did not take any of the cladding off. It took about five minutes of gentle manipulations to get it out. I did have to pull on the metal tongue that comes up right in front of it.
8. Pop the replacement plastic clamps into their corrent places in the new handle. Hinge side down. Don't fasten them.
9. Put the new handle in the same way you took the old one out.
10. Attach with the 3 T40 bolts. Dont fully tighten, just snug. I would recommend some blue loctite as well.
11. Now shut the tailgate so that it latches. Place the pull rods in the plastic clamps and fasten them. Don't pull on the rods, just put them in the clamps.
12. Your door should work now. Try it a couple of times. Pull on both sides of the tailgate to make sure each is held tight. If so, tighten up all the bolts, put the cladding on, and your done.
13. If your door won't latch, the rods are being pulled together too much. Undue the plastic clamps, push the rods apart and reset them in the clamps.
Posted on Nov 23, 2008
HOW DO YOU REMOVE THE COVER ON TOP OF THE TAILGATE TO REMOVE THE OLD TAILGATE LATCH?
Posted on Jul 25, 2010
Itis easier to cut out the metal tailgate section, about 3" x 3" section in front og=f the lever. see photos at http://www.chevyavalancheclub.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=96
Posted on Dec 11, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 20, 2013 | 2006 Chevrolet Silverado
Oct 09, 2011 | 2002 Toyota Sequoia
Aug 28, 2011 | 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche
Feb 17, 2011 | 2001 Isuzu Rodeo
Mar 20, 2010 | 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Mar 06, 2010 | 2001 Toyota Sienna
Dec 21, 2009 | 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche
Jun 21, 2009 | 2002 Ford Ranger Regular Cab
Mar 23, 2009 | 2003 Ford Explorer Sport
Apr 17, 2015 | 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche
13,389 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!