I just purchased a new tailgate handle from GM parts. Need some tips on how to replace old broken one. Do I only remove star screws from the inside of the tailgate? Do I need to remove some of the armour on the tailgate? Thanks for your detailed directions.
I just finished replacing mine. It took about an hour. Here's my step by step.
1. take off the two outside bolts on the inside of the tailgate behind the handle.
2. Now gently pull off the cladding around the latch. It is still held on by two christmas tree style holders.
3. Tie some long ropes to each of the two rods that the handle pulls together. You don't want them getting away from you.
4. Now free the rods from the plastic clamps. This is the point of no return. Mine would not go back together. A small screw driver shoved in from the end along the seam will pop them easily.
5. Now remove the remaining 3 T40 bolts on the back of the tailgate.
6. The handle assembly is now free to come out. Hold on to it as you lift the tailgate back up. Don't shut the tailgate all the way.
7. Work the old handle out. I did not take any of the cladding off. It took about five minutes of gentle manipulations to get it out. I did have to pull on the metal tongue that comes up right in front of it.
8. Pop the replacement plastic clamps into their corrent places in the new handle. Hinge side down. Don't fasten them.
9. Put the new handle in the same way you took the old one out.
10. Attach with the 3 T40 bolts. Dont fully tighten, just snug. I would recommend some blue loctite as well.
11. Now shut the tailgate so that it latches. Place the pull rods in the plastic clamps and fasten them. Don't pull on the rods, just put them in the clamps.
12. Your door should work now. Try it a couple of times. Pull on both sides of the tailgate to make sure each is held tight. If so, tighten up all the bolts, put the cladding on, and your done.
13. If your door won't latch, the rods are being pulled together too much. Undue the plastic clamps, push the rods apart and reset them in the clamps.
a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
If you can't do it with the handle,then remove the screws holding the square cover on the middle inside of the tail gate and open,could be broken on the inside,must open to see. I have a 85 nissan 720 and had to fix mine before,my handle on the inside broke and I replaced it,think it was about 11 bucks,autozone has the part,may need a pair of plyers to pull rod to release it to lower tail gate.
To Replace a Tailgate: Tools needed for the replacement:- Star shaped sockets- Flathead Screwdriver- Long Nose Pliers- Shop Light- Dremel w/ disc cutter for plastics, Remove the 2 outer long star shaped screws:
Close Tailgate and pull down and out the handle bezel. The bezel itself its being held by 2 plastic anchors.
To remove the handle from the tailgate we need to open it. Pull the linkage from both sides inward and the tailgate should open.
Remove the 3 large star shaped screws------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tacho Pro 2008
I had the same problem with my 02 Sequoia. To get the tailgate open and replace the broken handle you will have to remove the tailgate's panel cover.
The panel is affixed to the tailgate with about six to eight plastic stays on the back side of the panel.
You will need a "L"-shaped tool (The tool looks like a screw driver with its tip bent one-to-two inches.) that can be inserted under the panel's edge. Start @ the right, or left bottom corner.
After you pull the panel's second plastic stay away from the tailgate you will be able to use your hand to pull the rest of the stays away from the tailgate then push up on the panel to remove it.
After the panel is removed you will be able to see where the cable feeds into the broken handle. Use a pair of needle-nose pliers to pull the cable and open the tailgate. Toyota charges $100.00 for a new handle.
TO REPLACE TAIL GATE LATCH. TAKE A SMALL SCREW DRIVER OR USE A TRIM TOOL PRY OFF THE HANDLE ESCUTCHEON. ONCE BOTTOM PRIED OUT PULL THE ESCUTCHEON DOWN AND AWAY FROM THE TAIL GATE.IF YOU USE SCREW DRIVER COVER TIP WITH ELECTRICAL TAPE TO KEEP FROM DAMAGING PAINT SURFACE.FROM THE BED SIDE OF THE TAIL GATE REMOVE THE HANDLE MOUNTING BOLTS ROTATE THE PLASTIC RETAINING CLIPS OFF THE CONTROL RODS AND REMOVE THE RODS AWAY FROM HANDLE.REMOVE THE BOLTS AND WITHDRAW THE LATCH FROM THE END OF THE TAILGATE.
The inside rear panel on the tailgate comes off, remove the handle and replace it, Make notes of the positions of the latch rods, and solenoid rods, Should be a couple bolts on the handle, the new handle should tell you what to look for. Hope this helps.
Either ,something is binding inside the tailgate, or broken.
You can get to the mechanism from the inside panel of the tailgate-- by
removing the screws that down the inside panel.
Once you remove the panel you should be able to open the tailgate by
pulling on the thin cable to unlatch the latches from both ends of the tailgate and a good look at the handle mechanism will tell you what wrong.
The door handle might be broken, you need a new part. I got mine online for $40. keywords: 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 Toyota Sequoia Metal Lift Gate Exterior Door Handle for Rear Outside Van Tailgate Handle. You need to remove the back door panel to replace this.
i do not know but give these guys a call they only sells GM-parts its Schram auto & truck parts 1-800-292-1032 and they website is www.schramauto.com Merry Christmas & Happy New Year as always wish you the best of luck Michigan Man