Code, p0442 p0445
P0442 - Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)
This indicates a fuel vapor leak in the EVAP control system. It means a very small leak has been detected. In fact, the leak can be from a hole as small as 0.04" in diameter. The (EVAP) emission control system prevents the escape of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel system. Fuel vapors are routed by hoses to a charcoal canister for storage. Later, when the engine is running a purge control valve opens allowing intake vacuum to siphon the fuel vapors into the engine.
Symptoms: You likely won't notice any drivability problems.
Causes: A code P0442 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:
* A loose or improperly affixed gas cap
* A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand)
* A small leak/hole in a fuel vapor hose/tube
* Other small leak in EVAP system
* Faulty vent o-ring seal
Possible Solutions: with a P0442, the most common repair is to:
* Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the codes, and drive for a day and see if the codes come back.
* Otherwise, replace the gas cap, or
* Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses
P0445 - Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Shorted.
Possible Solutions: with a P0445, the most common repair is to:
* Bad or loss contact wires
* Check harnesses, replace it
Hope helps (remember to rate this).
Nov 05, 2010 |
1999 Jeep Cherokee