Popular Problems Checks
1. Car will not go into gear:
- Gear selector cable has failed
- Brake lock solenoid/brake light swtich has failed not allowing the gear selector to move out of "Park"
low transmission fluid (note: if car is operated for an extended
amount of time with low fluid level the transmission will fail
- Shorted electrical component not allowing the PCM to control the transmission. Example: shorted fuse
- Flex plate (flywheel) is broken completely not transferring engine power to the transmission.
2. Car goes into gear but then fades out of gear or is slipping while driving:
- Transmission fluid is low
- Transmission clutch discs or bands are worn out or burned
- Faulty transmission shift solenoid.
3. Car goes into gear but does not shift out of first:
- Blown fuse to the PCM controller
- Faulty vehicle speed sensor (VSS)
- Shorted second gear control solenoid
- Faulty transmission controller (PCM)