Question about 1998 Chrysler Town & Country

2 Answers

Can I replace the transmission solonoid on a 98 Town and Country Van without resetting the computer?

I have the 3.8 liter with 4 speed ******. I replaced the input speed sensor and the vehicle will not shift out of 2nd or go faster than 40 mph without pushing the engine

Posted by on


2 Answers

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Master
  • 4,803 Answers

It depends. Are there codes in the computer now? Has it bee reset since you replaced the input speed sensor? If the codes are still in there, the transmission may still be in limp-in mode.

Your transmission is computer controlled. Trying to diagnose or repair it without the ability to interface with the computer that controls it about the same as surfing the internet with no monitor. If you push the right buttons and click your mouse just right, you might get to the page you are looking for (not likely, but possible). However, when you do get there, you still won't know it....

Posted on Feb 22, 2012

Testimonial: "I brought the car to an expert who replaced the trans solonoid. Apparently the overdrive sensor was shorting out. Balch's Transmission in Purcellville are trustworthy experts."

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Top Expert:

    An expert who has finished #1 on the weekly Top 10 Fixya Experts Leaderboard.


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.

  • Chrysler Master
  • 5,332 Answers

Before you replace the solenoid pack you should at least check the output speed sensor. If this sensor fails it will also set a code and put the transmission in limp mode.

You will need a high end scan tool to check for codes in the trans computer, check sensor output data, clear codes, and perform a quick learn (if the solenoid pack is replaced).

It is far more common for input AND output speed sensors to fail than it is for a solenoid pack. As you know the speed sensors are fairly cheap. I'd hate to have you spend the money on a solenoid pack and not have it solve the problem.

If the input speed sensor was the problem the TCM should have seen that the problem was resolved after you started the vehicle, the vehicle should have driven/shifted normally.

I'm also curious if you may have replaced the output speed sensor instead of the input speed sensor. The input speed sensor is under the trens cooler lines and the lines need to be removed in order to replace it. The out put speed sensor is still on the front of the trans but more on the drivers side. Usually when the output speed sensor fails the speedo will also not work.

Also typically when a speed sensor fails the the trans will initially shift normally through all the gears until the vehicle comes to a stop (say at a stop sign or stop light). then the trans will default into second gear.

Pulling codes from the TCM is the best start as DT mentioned above!

Posted on Feb 25, 2012

  • 1 more comment 
  • ken b. May 06, 2013

    my sensors connect has been douched with acud from the battery tray, ive oredered new connection(wiring harness repair from ebay)i had bare wire showing on the out put sensor commect,i wonder if there is a realay or fuse responsible forthe speed sensors that is tripped or burned??700 733 734 are my codes

  • Jeremy W.
    Jeremy W. May 06, 2013

    The sensor is tied directly to the computer. No relay or fuses.

  • ken b. May 06, 2013

    cleared many times



5 Suggested Answers

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

  • 124 Answers

SOURCE: On Chrysler Town and Country van keys were locked in the car and

does this van have factory theft device? if so you may have to reset to get the ramp working

Posted on Apr 06, 2009

  • 96 Answers

SOURCE: Town and country mini van won't atart

Can you hear the fuel pump run when you cycle the key?

Posted on Sep 18, 2009

  • 1986 Answers

SOURCE: Replacing bulbs in tail lights in a Town and Country.

  1. Open your tailgate.
  2. Look for two (2) round flat black discs about the size of a dime (but thicker) on the inside of the body (between the red lens and the weather striping).
  3. Using a pair of pliers, pull out each of these two discs.
    • Note they are in tight and may require a fair bit of force to remove.
  4. Make sure the inner part of the disc also comes out. There are two parts to this system, a grommet and a plug:
    1. Push the plug backwards through the grommet.
      • The grommet fits into the actual hole in the body, and is spread by the plug, the pressure holding them in place.
    2. Carefully remove both grommet and plug.
      • The lens assembly will fall away from the vehicle when you pull out the second grommet so be careful.
  5. Note the wiring harness that connects to a plug inside. Beside that plug are two holders for the actual bulbs.
  6. Remove the holder by pressing the sides inwards and pulling. The light socket should come out.

Posted on Oct 21, 2009

  • 5763 Answers

SOURCE: Replacing a thermostat in 2005 Town and Country Mini Van

yes you are correct.

Posted on Nov 06, 2009

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

How do you replace a speed sensor in a 1998 town and country?

Well it would be good to have the actual trouble code or codes to advise you.
If the speed sensor in the transmission failed, the speedometer would not work, and the sensor would have nothing to do with the shift indicator.

Jan 23, 2013 | 1998 Chrysler Town & Country

3 Answers

My transmission is slipping any ideas whats wrong with my 98 chrystler town & country van?

Have the transmission flushed, if you have a lot of miles on the car, the fluid may be too dirty to do it's job efficiently. It's a relatively cheap fix.
Kelly Anne Bishop

Jan 22, 2013 | 1998 Chrysler Town & Country

1 Answer

What is the firing order for a 1996 3.8 chryler town and country van

Firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6 ; additional details and diagrams for 1998 Chrysler 3.8 liter V-6 VIN "L" could be find in the previous link.

Hope this helps; also keep in mind that your feedback is important and I`ll appreciate your time and consideration if you leave some testimonial comment about this answer.

Thank you for using FixYa, have a nice day.

Jan 18, 2012 | 1996 Chrysler Town & Country

1 Answer

My front blower on my 2002 Town and Country won't shut off. It blows full speed any time the van is running.

replace blower motor resistor located behind the glove box apro 2 x 3 in 2 screws and wire

Jan 19, 2011 | 2002 Chrysler Town & Country

1 Answer

Hi I have a 2005 Chrysler Town and Country van 3.8 liter engine. I just replaced the ERG valve but still have the error code of PO406? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much for your...

The diagnostic code will not clear immediately from the computer memory. It will take a predetermined number of complete warm up and drive cycles without the problem detected to have the diagnostic code disabled. If you want your SES light turned off right away and all codes cleared, you will need to use an OBDII compliant scan tool to reset it. Otherwise just continue to drive the vehicle as usual and monitor your gas mileage and driveability before assuming that the new part fixed the problem.

Aug 03, 2010 | 2005 Chrysler Town & Country

1 Answer

My 1996 town and country wont shift..It was shifting but then would stop but if we pulled over and re started it it would shift fine again. But now it isnt shifting at all..We have a computer hooked for it...

we can here,
your van is going into "limp mode"
when the computer does not get a correct signal from transmission it will not shift because it doesn't know your speed or engine RPM,
Three sensors on the transmission will trip it into limp mode,
1= output sensor,
2=input sensor,
3=speed sensor,
if you have it checked and get a "P0000" type code
it will tell you which one

Dec 18, 2009 | 1996 Chrysler Town & Country

2 Answers

Where is the neutral safety switch located on 1998 Town & Country

It is built into the valve body of the transmission. It can be replaced, but it should be done by a pro. What are the symtoms that make you ask>

Aug 16, 2009 | 1999 Lincoln Town Car

1 Answer

MAP or MAF Sensor Diagram for 2005 Town&Country Touring Van 3.8l.

Yes it has a sensor and they are color coded however I don't think it's called a maf or map sensor that’s a GM name, there would be three wires on it on ground one 5 volts reference and one for connection to the computer to tell the computer how much air flow there is, and the reading would be from 1.5 volts to 4 volts.

Jun 20, 2009 | 2005 Chrysler Town & Country

1 Answer

Does speed control senor make transmission not shift into

If the speed sensor Not work on a Automatic Transmission.
The over drive will not work.
The over drive is a SENSOR Located inside of the Transmission.
On vehicles with 3.0 liters.
On vehicles with 3.3 0r 3.8 liters, Is Part of the selenoid pack.
But if you have a 3.3 or 3.8 Liters.
Most cases the transmission will not go up shifting.
it will Stay on 1st or 3r.

If your van is a 3.0 liter , I will recomend replace the speed sensor.
Located At Right side of the Trans. on the firewall side.

if you have 3.3 or 3.8 liters.
I recomend replace the Input and Output shaft Speed sensor.
Located at left side of the Transmission. Behind the Selenoid Pack.

The first step I recomend Is get the Vehicle scaned with a Diagnostic scan tool.
To know exactly what is the problem.
Is there some autoparts That do scan on vehicles with no charge
Just a Complementary service.
Advance autoparts, Autozone autoparts, Pepboy's Autoparts.
And some Napa Autoparts.

OK. I hope this help on your problem.
Thank you for use fixya....

Jan 29, 2009 | 1996 Chrysler Town & Country

Not finding what you are looking for?
1998 Chrysler Town & Country Logo

983 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Chrysler Experts


Level 3 Expert

76164 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22156 Answers

Jeff Turcotte
Jeff Turcotte

Level 3 Expert

8273 Answers

Are you a Chrysler Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides