- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
You have an out of alignment belt run across the pulleys of the engine, this causes the belt to make noise as it rubs on the edge. Many times this is causes by the crankshaft vibration damper coming part and the pulley walking outward.
Your 1996 cherokee has a self adjusting tensioner. If it's bad or if the belt is worn, it might make a squealing noise. You cannnot adjust it. You can only replace the auto tensioner when it gets old and weak.
The seal on the AC compressor has probably failed and allowed all the refrigerant and lubricant to be lost. This allows the bearing to run dry and now it is failing and making noise.
1. You could have the AC repaired, the compressor repaired or replaced and the system refilled.
2. You could have a mechanic disconnect the system and possibly remove the compressor (only if this model does not use a belt that relies on the compressor being in place).
3. It is probably way too late to try to refill the AC system with R134a refrigerant as it would just run out past the failed seals.
If anyone has an AC unit that just recently stopped making cold air they should attempt to recharge the unit (if it uses R134a - check your manual or underhood stickers). I just did and saved my compressor and AC unit from further damage.
hi the only way to get the size is to use a piece of string and wrap it around all of the pullies.in the proper order. and subtract 1-2 inches so thy tenshioner will work buy a couple of belts at diffrent sizes and return the ones you dont need
Try removing the belt and turning each pulley by hand. If everything is smooth and free, with the belt still off, drive down the block once and see if the noise is there (this will eliminate all rotating accessories on the front). If you hear the noise, then there is a problem deeper inside. Oil pressure is good? Dont' forget when doing this, you will have no power steering, so be careful.