My 2008 chevy avalanche is burning 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles
How many miles on your vehicle ? Do you see any leak spots on the ground from the truck ? Blue exhaust , oil burning , valve guide seals , piston rings , PCV clogged .
Oil Consumption Diagnosis
Excessive oil consumption, not due to leaks, is the use of 1 L (1 qt) or more of engine oil within 3 200 kilometers (2,000 miles).
The causes of excessive oil consumption may include the following conditions:
• External oil leaks
Refer to Oil Leak Diagnosis .
• Incorrect oil level or improper reading of the oil level indicator
With the vehicle on a level surface, run the engine for a few minutes, allow adequate drain down time, 2-3 minutes, and measure for the correct engine oil level.
• Improper oil viscosity
Refer to the vehicle owners manual and use the recommended SAE grade and viscosity for the prevailing temperatures.
• Continuous high speed driving and/or severe usage
• Crankcase ventilation system restrictions or malfunctioning components
Refer to Crankcase Ventilation System Inspection/Diagnosis .
• Worn valve guides and/or valve stems
• Worn or improperly installed valve stem oil seals
Refer to Spark Plug Inspection .
• Piston rings broken, worn, or not seated properly
Allow adequate time for the rings to seat.
Replace worn piston rings, as necessary.
Refer to Cylinder Leakage Test .
• Piston and rings improperly installed or not fitted to the cylinder bore
Refer to Lower Engine Noise, Regardless of Engine Speed
Jun 14, 2014 |
2008 Chevrolet Avalanche