Question about 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee

1 Answer

Push Rods Need to replace push roads in straight 6 engine. any secrets?

Posted by on

  • kilowatk Oct 19, 2008

    JUst one other question, What if push rod has broken, will getting other end be hard?


1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.


    An expert who has answered 20 questions.

  • Expert
  • 55 Answers

No, it's fairly easy, just remove the valve cover, unbolt the rocker arms, remove pushrods. Make sure you have correct parts and compare length of new ones to old ones. Too long of a pushrod and you could have major damage. Slide pushrods into lifters, you can look down through the head and see the lifter. You can also feel when the rod is in the lifter correctly. Install rockers in reverse trying to put back in exact location. I recommend torqing these, you'll have to find the spec. You could spin the engine with coil unhooked so it won't fire before you put the valvecover back on to make sure they're all moving the same. Install valve cover, etc, your done.

Posted on Oct 18, 2008

  • Travis Sutherly Oct 19, 2008

    As long as it hasn't fallen past the camshaft to the oilpan, you should be able to use a magnet of some sort. Make sure u got all the pieces out before reassembly.


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Lifters/car not starting

Do you have the 2.2 liter Ecotec 4-cylinder engine, the 3.5 liter V6, or the 3.9 liter V6 engine? If you have the 2.2 liter engine, there may be a camshaft/timing chain issue if you skipped a tooth when you put the chain back on the cams. If it's a 3.5 or a 3.9 liter V6, you may have incorrectly installed the push rods back into the engine. 3.5 liter intake push rods are approx 5 3/4" long, while the exhaust push rods are approx 6" long.
The 3.9 liter intake push rods are approx 5.81" long, while the exhaust push rods are approx 6.1" long. If you mix the two lengths up when you put them back in the engine, you're going to have problems.

Oct 19, 2013 | 2006 Chevrolet Malibu

1 Answer

How do i remove lifters in 02 impala

Your push rods are different lengths. The intake push rods are the shorter ones and are marked with yellow paint. The exhaust push rods are marked with green paint. Double-check to make absolutely certain that you have them all in the correct position. (failure to do so will cause IMMEDIATE severe engine damage when the starter is cranked.)

Other than that, it is common for the lifters to leak down when the engine has been disassembled. I have even had several that made it very hard to start and "clattered" for like 5 minutes after starting the engine. It will be OK when the lifters pump back up.

Apr 23, 2012 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

My son has a 3.1 v 6 Lumina engine & was replacing the head gaskets. and he may have gotten the push rods in the wrong place, for someone that has never been in a engine before it is I guest easy to...

Hello ahbryantav66,

Intake push-rods measure 144.18 mm "the short ones".
Exhaust push-rods measure 152.51 mm"the long ones".

Below is an image of the top of a 3.1; in red are the exhaust rocker arms, in blue are the intake rocker arms. The other head follows the same pattern just examine and follow the ports.


Torque the rocker arm bolts to 124 in.lbs. plus 30 degrees.

I hope this helps.



Jul 23, 2011 | Chevrolet Lumina Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Where the big pushrod goes and where the small ones goes??

short push rods ( 5.68" ) are the intake push rods

long push rods ( 6" ) are the exaust push rods.

Jul 04, 2011 | 2002 Buick Rendezvous

1 Answer

2001 grand cherokee 4.0l valve rocker torque specs

5 million made.
it's in the fsm book
posted here over 300 times.
are you asking , how to set rockers ?

chapter 9 page 27
------------------text fsm---------------------
Inspect the pivot surface area of each rocker arm.
Replace any that are scuffed, pitted, cracked or
excessively worn.
Inspect the valve stem tip contact surface of each
rocker arm and replace any rocker arm that is deeply
Inspect each push rod end for excessive wear and
replace as required. If any push rod is excessively
worn because of lack of oil, replace it and inspect the
corresponding hydraulic tappet for excessive wear.
Inspect the push rods for straightness by rolling
them on a flat surface or by shining a light between
the push rod and the flat surface.
A wear pattern along the length of the push rod is
not normal. Inspect the engine cylinder head for
obstruction if this condition exists.
NOTE: This procedure can be done with the engine
in or out of the vehicle.
(1) Lubricate the ball ends of the push rods with
Mopart Engine Oil Supplement, or equivalent and
install push rods in their original locations. Ensure
that the bottom end of each push rod is centered in
the tappet plunger cap seat.
(2) Using Mopart Engine Oil Supplement, or
equivalent, lubricate the area of the rocker arm that
the pivot contacts. Install rocker arms, pivots and
bridge above each cylinder in their originally position
(Fig. 23).
(3) Loosely install the capscrews through each
(4) At each bridge, tighten the capscrews alternately,
one turn at a time, to avoid damaging the
bridge. Tighten the capscrews to 28 N·m (21 ft. lbs.)
(5) Install the engine cylinder head cover (Refer to

Mar 13, 2011 | Jeep Grand Cherokee Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Order for push rods 2000 olds 3400 engine


Sep 10, 2010 | 1999 Oldsmobile Alero

1 Answer

Engine not failed oil pressure good engine ticking think it is rod bearings how do you replace on 1997 chev Blazer

hold up rod bearings were did you get that?lets take it from the top.camshaft lobs move lifters on rotation,which lifters move push rods,push rods push valves up and down,which other side of valves push up and down valve stems,which open and close exhaust and intake stems.ok now were clear on that to see your push rods.take off your valve covers on side with tick.1.check for valve loosness.need a feeler gauge for this and specs for you truck to do this.because ticking is mostly associated with valve loosness or to tight.2.if rod is bad loosin valves but not off and inspect the rods for bends.on a flat surface.replace if bend.also make sure they to go back in same place.and repeat step 1.finally noise continues need to take in and checked possible internal damage.

Aug 17, 2010 | 1997 Chevrolet Blazer

1 Answer

Timing belt went bad while engine was running, what's the chances in getting bent valves . I put a new one in, I got a tapping lifter. why is that?

Hows it run other then the tapper? You can not only bend a valve but you can bend push rods too. If it runs alright you may want to pull the rocker arm assembly and take out all the push rods and then roll them on a flat surface. If the roll straight then there fine but one that flip flops around needs replaced. it sounds like you got really lucky on not ruining the motor. Bent valves can do terrible things to an engine. let me know how it turns out, Please be kind for my idea. I need some good scores and just trying to help, Thanks and Good Luck, Raz

Apr 18, 2010 | 1993 Nissan Pathfinder

1 Answer

Push rodes are knoking needs replaced 2.8liter v6 discontinued engine

push rods dont knock?? they are hollow rods that the lifters push up and pump oil thru to rocker arm that then pushes down on a valve and opens it if u bent the push rods or any other part of the head valve train most auto parts stores or on line parts sell them including dealer

Mar 30, 2010 | 1984 Chevrolet S-10

1 Answer

I need to find out where the push rods are at in

If it has push rods, you will find them under the rocker cover on the top of the engine, they are hiding under the rockers. The rods ride on a lifter that rides on the cam and then they push the valves down, and squirt oil all over everything, a spring brings them back up. The overhead cam eliminated all these extra parts. Lifters, rods, rockers. Hope this helps.

Mar 21, 2010 | 1989 Toyota Cressida

Not finding what you are looking for?
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Logo

289 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Jeep Experts


Level 3 Expert

70347 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22041 Answers

Jeff Turcotte
Jeff Turcotte

Level 3 Expert

6876 Answers

Are you a Jeep Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides