Question about 2003 Saturn ION
I keep getting a coolant message on my dig odom after driving about 100 miles. my coolant level is full. any clue
I have a 2005 Ion that had been displaying the "coolant" message for quite some time. The car runs perfectly, never overheats and the coolant bottle is always full to the "cold fill level" line when cold and slightly higher than that when hot due to the expansion of the fluid. (all completely normal) I had a strong feeling that the coolant level sensor in the coolant bottle was bad and had read about how it needed to be replaced by a tech and all but I wonderred if there was a way to defeat the sensor since I check my levels all the time anyway because the sensor was really just giving false info anyway. I couldn't find a tread involving a Saturn that talked about a solution other than having a tech charge me lots of money to replace the whole bottle. I found a way to bypass the sensor for a BMW though and thought I would try it. It worked perfectly. I plan on replacing the bottle eventually but right now money is tight and I don't need the sensor to tell me what my own eyes and my car's temperature gauge can tell me for now. Here's how you do it.
1. Unplug the sensor harness from the bottom of the coolant bottle.
2. Find a large paper clip and use needle nose plyers to make a "staple" shaped jumper that is about 1/4 inch wide (about the distance between the two contacts on the harness) and about 3/8 inch long.
3. push the jumper you just made into the end of the harness connector.
4. Start your car and ensure that the warning is no longer displaying. You can also insert the jumper while the car is running (be careful, the coolant bottle will be hot) because the harness is removed from the sensor the coolant warning should already be displayed. When you insert the jumper the message should go away imediately. The coolant level sensor has only one job and that is to tell the computer when coolant is low so you don't have to worry that you may be causing any other problems by doing this. If the coolant light doesn't go away you may have a break in the wire somwhere or a bad connection to the jumper.
5. If all works well, use electrical tape to seal up the end of the harness so moisture doesn't get in. Also it's a good idea to secure the harness to something nearby so that it doesn't flop around when you are driving.
All done. Sorry this was long but I hope that it helps someone. That warning really has been irritating me.
Keep in mind that this method does disable a key safety device that is designed (poorly) to warn you in the even of a coolant leak. Keep an eye on your temperature gauge and check your coolant level regularly. Get the bottle replaced when you can.
Posted on Mar 16, 2010
I have been having the same problem in my ion. Make sure your car is completely cool and check the level, you may have to add just a little bit of coolant so the message will go away. Mine went off today and was barely low, but it fixed the issue when I added some.
Posted on Oct 20, 2008
Dealer tech noted coolant slightly low, topped off no visable leaks, no codes with OBD2. Suggested that if light continues to come on/off will need coolant bottle installed. Other mechanic suggested it might be a bad sensor that makes light go on and off.
Do I just keep putting in coolant fluid and let it go or replace?
Posted on Mar 23, 2009
I'm also having this issue, and I have taken the care to Les Schwab and another place and my mechanic, everything checks out fine, all te fluids are good but still get the message and when I look at the temo gage it hasn't moved at all
Posted on Apr 17, 2013
Try geting the computer reset
Posted on Mar 06, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 25, 2016 | Saturn Ion Cars & Trucks
Mar 24, 2015 | 2003 Saturn ION
Sep 12, 2014 | 2003 Saturn ION
Aug 02, 2013 | 2006 Saturn ION
Dec 08, 2010 | 2005 Saturn ION
Apr 28, 2010 | 2004 Saturn ION
Mar 25, 2009 | 2003 Saturn ION
Feb 15, 2009 | 2003 Saturn ION
Dec 08, 2008 | 2004 Saturn ION
11,681 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: