Question about 2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

2 Answers

My battery boiled over

I have a 2004 TrailBlazer and my kid left the ignition and radio on overnight. I put the battery charger on it for about a half hour on 10 amps so I could get to work. Everything seemed OK for about a week and then I smelled something hot under the hood. When I opened it, there was acid boiling out of the battery and it was smoking. The next day I put another battery in it and according to the volt meter it's charging at about 14.5 to 15 volts and I can see the needle move as if the alternator is cycling on and off. I hate to ruin another battery. What's going on here?

Posted by on

2 Answers

IF YOU PUT A NEW BATTERY IN, THE CHARGING VOLTAGE SHOULD BE 14.5 AFTER YOU FIRST START UP BUT THEN TAPER OFF. CHARGE FOR A WILE AND CK TO SEE IF THE BATTERY IS GETTING HOT SHOULD NOT GO OVER 120 DEG F LEN B

Posted on Oct 15, 2008

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.

  • Chevrolet Master
  • 1,779 Answers

If the needle on your gauge 'move as if the alternator is cycling on and off.' you should have your charging system checked. Also, if the battery 'boiled over' you should get a box of baking soda, make a gooey mix w/ water and pour it all around the battery. This will neutralize the acid, which will corrode everything it comes in contact with. After the foaming stops when u treat the area w/ the mix, flush with clean water. countrycurt0

Posted on Oct 11, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

I drive the truck for about a mile and a half and truck shuts off and then battery is really hot


Replace the battery as when it boils the plates buckle and it will not last . The problem stems from uncontrolled current from the alternator which indicates a regulator failure (volts should be 14.5 to 15.5 and no more ). Have an auto electrician check out he alternator. The truck shut off because the battery lost charge from internal damage. Run fault codes to check for CPU damage.

Nov 15, 2013 | 2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

1 Answer

2002 chevy trailblazer LS short in radio circuit


look to see what else is powered by that fuse and power source its some thing in that system and its not the radio. disconect one item at a time and see if it still kills the battery keep doing that till the battery does not die any more and there you find your issue. and be able to fix it this will take some time but you will save lots of $$$$$$ in the end

Jan 28, 2013 | 2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

1 Answer

HAVE FLATTENED BATTERY AND IT WON'T CHARGE


Search on Google its Wonderfull sarch Engine.

Jul 29, 2012 | 2008 Saab 9-3

1 Answer

I have a2002 trailblazer and the battery drains after sitting for 3-4 hours. The battery will charge right up, but if left for a period of time, the battery goes dead.


In most newer vehicles there is a built-in battery drain caused by features that have a "memory" such as your radio.
Especially in cold weather, that drain is too much for a marginal battery to deal with.
If you are charging the battery by running the engine, that won't help. The battery needs to be fully charged with a battery charger. Load test the battery after charging. If it fails or comes up as marginal, replace it. otherwise, you will need to begin testing for an excessive power drain.

Feb 03, 2011 | 2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

1 Answer

2004 4WD Trailblazer didn't start this morning. No crank, no ticking but some power to accessories. My son tried to put window down and the radio came on. Later in the day, the radio came on...


I had the key stuck once. Make sure the key is in the off position. Make sure the steering wheel is not locked against a stop. The vehicle must be in park and try stepping on the brake. Try jumping the car with another car or battery pack.

Nov 30, 2010 | 2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

1 Answer

Rear speakers stopped working in 2004 chevrolet trailblazer


This could be caused by many things. Generally, if they just stop working altogether (without being abused) it's a failure in the internal amplifier in the radio (head unit) itself. Other possibilities include:

1.) Blown speakers due to abuse
2.) Faulty wiring

You can test for a blown speaker by using a multimeter to measure the resistance in each speaker. Unhook them and put the contacts on the terminals. They should read at or near 4 ohms of resistance. If it is 0 or near 0, they are blown. Ask your kids if they turned daddy's radio up loud when he goes into the store ;)

Dec 01, 2009 | 2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

1 Answer

Car will not start, left ignition on overnight


you may have burnt the coil pack and the ignition switch: start with the coil pack first replace it and try “autozone.com” or your local library for diagrams and step by step instructions

Mar 20, 2009 | 1984 Volvo 240 Series

2 Answers

Left key in ignition overnight, now car wont start


try checking the main relay under the dash

Mar 15, 2009 | 2004 Honda Odyssey

Not finding what you are looking for?
2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer Logo

116 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Chevrolet Experts

yadayada
yadayada

Level 3 Expert

60960 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

21949 Answers

Jeff Turcotte
Jeff Turcotte

Level 3 Expert

6812 Answers

Are you a Chevrolet Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...