Question about Dodge Ram 1500

1 Answer

97 Dodge sensor

Need info on a governor pressure sensor. location and changing it without goin to a shop

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 20 times.


    An expert who has answered 20 questions.

  • Expert
  • 55 Answers

It's located under the transmission pan. Once off, you'll see 2 pieces on the passanger side of the valvebody. One is the gov sensor, the other is the gov sonenoid. I recommend replacing them both if your having a governor problem. Remove 4 7/16 bolts and 2 t25 torx screws to remove. Don't tear the gasket on the plate they're in and reuse it. Piece of cake. Trust me, replace them both. 15 year dodge dealer tech.

Posted on Oct 19, 2008


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Where is trans temp sensor located?

Mounted to the valve body. Remove the transmission pan(messy). On the passenger side of the valve body there are 2 electrical parts. One is the governor pressure solenoid and the other is the governor pressure sensor. The solenoid is in the center of the plate, the sensor is at the side. You have to remove both. You want to replace the sensor. It has the temp sensor built into it.

Apr 12, 2016 | Dodge Ram 1500 Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

2001 dodge 1500 4x4 governor pressre sensor

Remove the Transmission pan. It is the larger one of the 4 solenoids, it is the rearward one of the set of solenoids. Usually a black color and round like a small pepper shaker. If you are replacing this one, you really should replace them all. This governor pressure sensor, when if fails, usually causes the transmission to start off in 2nd gear and then upshift to other gears is delayed and harsh.

Apr 17, 2014 | 2005 Chevrolet Silverado

1 Answer

2004 jeep code 1763 what to do

P1763 - Governor Pressure Sensor Voltage Too High

This code is refer for the governor pressure sensor which is located in the valve body of the transmission. If getting power to the sensor and the wires are not open or shorted then the sensor will need to be replaced.


Hoist and support vehicle on safety stands.
Remove transmission fluid pan and filter.
Disengage wire connectors from pressure sensor and solenoid (see picture)
Remove screws holding pressure solenoid retainer to governor body.
Separate solenoid retainer from governor (see picture)
Pull solenoid from governor body
Pull pressure sensor from governor body.
Remove bolts holding governor body to valve body.
Separate governor body from valve body
Remove governor body gasket.

Before installing the pressure sensor and solenoid in the governor body, replace O-ring seals, clean the gasket surfaces and replace gasket.

Place gasket in position on back of governor body
Place governor body in position on valve body.
Install bolts to hold governor body to valve body.
Lubricate O-ring on pressure sensor with transmission fluid.
Align pressure sensor to bore in governor body.
Push pressure sensor into governor body.
Lubricate O-ring, on pressure solenoid, with transmission fluid.
Align pressure solenoid to bore in governor body
Push solenoid into governor body.
Place solenoid retainer in position on governor
Install screws to hold pressure solenoid retainer to governor body.
Engage wire connectors into pressure sensor and solenoid Install transmission fluid pan and (new) filter.
Lower vehicle and road test to verify repair.





Hope helps.

Sep 29, 2011 | 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee

1 Answer

I have a code p1762 for my 97 jeep grand cherokee

Trouble code P1762 means: Governor pressure sensor offset improper voltage. Gov. Pressure Sensor.It is located in the valve body of the transmission and requires dropping the transmission pan to replace. Sounds much more difficult than it is. Since you have to change your fluid it's a good idea to change the trans. filter .

Feb 01, 2011 | 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee

1 Answer

I need to know what diagnostic code p1762 means

Dodge: Governor pressure sensor offset improper voltage Dodge: Governor pressure sensor offset improper voltageFault Code P1762: Automatic transmission Governor pressure sensor offset improper voltage

Sep 30, 2010 | Dodge Pickup Cars & Trucks

3 Answers

Dodge trouble code P1740 is frightening after reading some of the forums. what is the cheapest way to come to a conclusion before changing the transmission? as far as your expertise go.

I have had vehicles with that code before, and I always find that the governor solenoid, and the governor pressure sensor, both have tiny mesh filtering screens around their fluid intake ports to protect them, and I usually find that they are plugged up completely with fine metal shavings. The transmission governor solenoid and pressure sensor are located next to each other under the transmission oil pan, and are located just rear of the transmission valve body.

That repair will depend on how much other damage the transmission really has (if there is a lot of friction material, or metal fragments in the bottom of the transmission oil pan, or the transmission fluid is dark and smells like a burned up clutch or brakes then the transmission will require more extensive repairs) and the repair could last for just a few days or years depending on the condition of the transmission, and it would be a good idea to change the transmission oil filter if you remove the transmission oil pan. Let me know if you require any further assistance.

Jun 16, 2010 | 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Truck

1 Answer

2000 Dodge Durango - P1757 GOV Pressure Not Equal

I have had to replace the governor on those dodge transmissions, and there is a filtering metal mesh screen around the governor inlet port that seems to always get plugged up with small metal shavings. The governor is located under the transmission pan to the rear of the main valve body.

May 05, 2010 | 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee

1 Answer

2005 Dodge Ram Automatic transmission problem

i had this problem with a friends 05 dodge 3500. i dropped the pan off the transmission, changed the governor pressure soleniod, trans filter and adjusted front and rear bands. also increased transmission pressure. this solved the problem he was having. you will need to have pressure gauges and a few special wrenches to do this yourself. also there is a valve in the transmission lines that has to be drilled out. this work not recommened unless you know what you are doing.

Feb 02, 2010 | 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Truck

1 Answer

2001 dodge 1500 automatic wont shift up then agian it works perfect shows code 1762

P1762-GOVERNOR PRESSURE SENSOR OFFSET VOLTS TOO LOW OR HIGH. From what i understand from talking to some people it would be the Sensor that would need to be done. The intermittant issue could be the sensor going bad.
Are you planning on doing this yourself? or having a shop do it?

Mar 22, 2009 | 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Truck 2WD

Not finding what you are looking for?
Cars & Trucks Logo

Related Topics:

276 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Dodge Experts


Level 3 Expert

77202 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22265 Answers

Ronny Bennett Sr.
Ronny Bennett Sr.

Level 3 Expert

6927 Answers

Are you a Dodge Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides