The radio goes in safe mode when the battery gets disconnected, or if for some reason the radio lost power connection.
To get the radio out of safe mode you will need the anti theft code.
This is available with car documentation, in first page of the in car entertainment booklet, or on first page of the car booklet (not the car manual).
Once you have got the code, do the following:
- Hold down both the AM/FM and the SCAN button at the same time, until the display shows "1000".
- Use the buttons 1,2,3,4 to change each of the digits until you get displayed the same code as printed on documentation (ensure that it is the right one).
- On some radio (programmable models), the default code is "1111" or "1234".
- Press and hold the AM/FM and SCAN buttons again until the radio is starting.
- If you fail twice the code, the radio will lock up in safe mode, and you won't be able to enter the code again.
- If the radio is locked, or if the code is lost, the unlock can be done at the nearest car dealer, usually for a small fee, or for free.