Question about 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
I had the same problem with my daughters 1998 Cavalier and found that the salt used on the Michigan roads and corroded through a wire. The when the light are used for driving lights they are hooked up in series on the 12v line and the wire between the lights had corroded. It has been a while and don’t remember exactly the point where I found the problem but it was by the driver side head light.
Posted on Oct 17, 2008
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: DRL-1998 Cavalier Z24
Check your DRL relay that is located in the fuse box. Also check the connector under the battery box for corrosion. (Not a smart place to put a connector) GM really messed up with the wiring on the 98-00 cavaliers headlights.
Posted on Nov 01, 2008
1996-99 chevy trucks.There is a diode, located under the dash between the steering wheel and the radio, fastenen to the round dash bar. The bolt that holds it on, threads into the top of the bar, it is near impossible to get at with a wrench. It is a finned block of (usaully black) aluminum about 2 inches squared 3 inches long. I found a easy way to get it out. Looking up you will see two tabs bent holding the diode in a bracket, bend them out of the way( you may have to bend the bracket a little aswell) and with patience the diode will slide out of the bracket, then disconect the electrical plug-in. I have found that this is the main reason for day-time driving light failure
Posted on Feb 07, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 25, 2016 | Cars & Trucks
Nov 29, 2013 | 2006 Honda Civic
Sep 23, 2012 | 2002 Honda Accord
Mar 06, 2018 | 2003 Pontiac Sunfire
[Information] For a 2002 Toyota Camry, the Daytime
Running Lights (DRL) operate utilizing the High Beams (inner Lamps closer to
the center of the vehicle front) at a reduced power.
[The troubleshooting process:] Review the Owner's Manual and ensure the test
configuration matches the following criteria:
1. According to the 2002 Toyota Camry Owner's Manual (Check your Owners Manual):
"The DRL system will make your headlights come on at a reduced brightness when:
The light switch s in the "DRL" position.
The ignition is on with the engine running.
The headlight switch is off.
The parking brake is released."
2. Set the Test Conditions according to Step 1 above.
3. Check the headlight bulbs to ensure they are not
burned out. If one burns out, there is a fair chance that the other would have burned
out at the same time. Replace as necessary.
In this case, if the high beams operate, the DRLs should also operate.
4. Test the system, ensuring the step 1 conditions are set. (Engine running, Multi-function Switch on Turn Signals in "DRL" position, headlight switch off (repeating what the manual says -- it should be obvious that in the "DRL" position, the headlight switch should be off / do not have the switch positioned to "High Beam"), and the Parking Brake "off").
5. If DRL lights do not work, check the engine compartment Fuse and Relay Box. there is a 5 Amp DRL fuse -- replace it with the spare. Test (step 4).
6. If it does not work, swap around or replace relays -- there are three (3). Any one of them could be bad (stuck or burned out). Test (step 4).
7. Other less likely possible issues could be that the Multi-function Switch is broken or a connection / wire is broken. [Beyond the scope of this process.]
My problem was that the test configuration did not have
the engine running and parking brake off - Step 1. Problem solved with much
thought, repetitive tests on the vehicle and going back to the basics -- what
does the Owner's Manual say and where are the applicable fuses and relays
Dec 30, 2011 | 2002 Toyota Camry
Dec 03, 2010 | 1996 Pontiac Sunfire
Sep 20, 2010 | 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier
Feb 27, 2010 | 2007 Honda CR-V
May 12, 2009 | 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
375 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!