Question about 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
My wife's 2001 Montero was doing the same thing and I fixed it for about $5.00 and about 1hrs of work time. The problem is the two copper plates behind the airbag. When you push on the airbag it pushes the copper plates together and that completes the circut and the horn sounds. The plates are kept apart with rubber beads, after years of use the beads will not keep the plates apart and the horn keeps going off. This is how if fixed the problem about a year ago and the horn has not gone off unless I make go off, like it was designed to work. (parts: self stick 1/8 inch foam strip and clear box tape)
1) Carefully remove airbag/horn housing from car
2) Take apart the airbag it should be held together by 2 nuts/bolts.
3) Remove the horn pad, it will be located between the airbag and airbag cover and it will have two wires going to it (be careful not cut or break wires.
4) With a sharp razor blade cut around the outer edge of the horn pad, don't cut into the copper plates.
5) Take apart the copper plate, careful with wires.
6) Stick 5 small pieces of foam to one of the copper plates, the pieces of foam must be small or the plates will not come together when you want to sound the horn.
7) Put the copper plates back together using the tape, only tape the edges because you want the center to flex.
8) Put the airbag/back together and into the car. problem fixed. good luck
Posted on Jan 05, 2012
There is a fuse which I have had to remove from my 2002 Montero Sport. It is under the driver side compartment in the fuse panel box near the driver side door. Once you remove the fuse box cover there is a diagram telling you which fuse to remove. Now, your truck will not pass inspection legally until this problem is fixed. There is a switch under the steering wheel cover which is either broken or stuck but with air bags I would not recommend attempting this yourself, but the fuse can be removed as a temporary fix. I hope this helped!
Posted on Apr 11, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 21, 2015 | 1999 Mercury Cougar
Feb 11, 2015 | Cars & Trucks
Oct 30, 2012 | Kia Cars & Trucks
Oct 13, 2012 | Toyota Camry Cars & Trucks
Oct 05, 2010 | 1999 Chrysler Cirrus
Jul 27, 2010 | 1994 Mazda MX-6
Aug 09, 2009 | 1999 Ford Explorer
1,197 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: