Question about 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Truck 2WD
I had the vehicle serviced and everything checked out. I drove approximately one mile and made a stop at the post office. After about five minutes, I tried to restart the engine, but the key would not engage the starter. The gearshift (automatic transmission) feels loose, as if something has disconnected. So far, the mechanic, who is looking in the steering column, has been unable to locate the problem. Any suggestions? Lester
The mechanic located the problem: A linkage in the steering column had worn out, which disabled the electronic connection from the key to the starter. Although it was much costlier to do so, I chose to purchase a new rather than a used steering column as I intend to keep the vehicle.
Posted on Oct 02, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 18, 2015 | Suzuki Cars & Trucks
Feb 14, 2015 | Geo Cars & Trucks
Jul 22, 2014 | 2002 Mazda Tribute
Welcome to FixYa.com
1. Remove air cleaner and air intake hose assembly.
2. Remove center dash trim panel.
3. Remove center console cup holder assembly.
4. Remove floor console assembly.
5. Remove console side panels.
6. Remove Transmission Control Module ftMJ bracket.
1. Remove TCM.
8. Remove shifter cable from transaxle operating lever by removing nut and clip.
9. Remove shifter cable from shifter lever assembly by removing clip.
10. Remove shifter cable from shifter lever mechanism.
11. Remove cable from firewall grommet by removing grommet assembly nuts.
12. Remove gearshift cable from vehicle.
Lift and rotate the gearshift hand lever into the park (F9 gate position and remove the ignition
key. This confirms the shift lever is in the gated park (F9 position.
After confirming the park gate position. turn the ignition switch . If the starter will operate. the
park gate position is correct. Move the shift lever into the neutral (NJ position. If the starter
will operate in this position, the linkage is properly adjusted. If the starter fails to operate in
either position, linkage adjustment is required.
1. Park the vehicle on level ground and set the parking brake.
2. Place the gearshift lever in park (F9 gate position and remove key.
3. Loosen the cable adjustment screw at the transaxle operating lever.
4. Pull the transaxle operating lever fully forward to the park detent position.
5. Release the park brake, then rock the vehicle to assure it is in park lock. Reset the park
6. Tighten the cable adjustment screw to 8 Nm (10 inch Ibs.J. Gearshift cable should now be
1. Check adjustment by usinq the precedinq procedure.
Thank you for Using FixYa.com
Kind Regards, Lee
Your Master Technician FixYa Expert
Jan 31, 2011 | 1997 Chrysler Sebring
Fig. Supporting the engine with Engine Support 303-290.
Jan 25, 2011 | 2006 Ford Focus
May 09, 2010 | 1998 Ford Escort
Jul 13, 2009 | 2003 Toyota Camry
May 05, 2009 | 2000 Mercury Villager
Apr 02, 2009 | 1994 Ford Taurus
Mar 09, 2009 | 1999 Chrysler 300M
Jan 23, 2016 | 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Truck 2WD
75 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: