REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
NEVER SMOKE WHEN WORKING AROUND OR NEAR GASOLINE! MAKE SURE THAT THERE IS NO ACTIVE IGNITION SOURCE NEAR YOUR WORK AREA!
1970-83 Carbureted Engines
The fuel filter is located on the right inner fender in the engine compartment. It is a disposable cartridge type.
1984-86 Carbureted Engines
- Using a pair of pliers, expand the hose clamp on one side of the filter, and slide the clamp further down the hose, past the point to which the filter pipe extends. Remove the other clamp in the same manner.
- Grasp the hoses near the ends and twist them gently to pull them free from the filter pipes.
- Pull the filter from the clip and discard.
- Install the new filter into the clip. Push the hoses onto the filter pipes, and slide the clamps back into position. Start the engine and check for leaks.
Fig. 1: Fuel filter - 1970-79
Fig. 2: Fuel filter - 1980-83
The fuel filter is located on the inside of the frame above the left rear spring front shackle.
Changing the filter is VERY awkward. Since it is in-line and below tank level, fuel will pour from the fuel lines when they are disconnected from the filter. The only way of preventing this, is to siphon all of the gasoline from the tank before replacing the filter. Another possible method is to clamp and plug the fuel line, but this is not recommended because of the danger of leaking fuel or damage which could occur to the fuel line when clamped. It would, therefore, be a good idea to run the tank almost dry before changing the filter. Once the tank is dry, disconnect the fuel lines at the filter, unbolt the old filter and install a new one. Reconnect the fuel lines, fill the tank, start the engine and check for leaks.
Fig. 3: Fuel filter - 1984-86
Fig. 4: Remove the shield mounting bolts
Fig. 5: Remove the shield, if necessary for fuel filter removal
Fig. 6: Removing fuel filter - always replace fuel line clamps
Fuel Injected Engines
Never attempt to remove the fuel filter without first relieving the fuel system pressure!
- Release the fuel pressure from the fuel line as follows:
- Remove the fuel pump fuse at the fuse box.
- Start the engine.
- After the engine stalls, crank the engine two or three times to make sure that the fuel pressure is released.
- Turn the ignition switch OFF and reinstall the fuel pump fuse.
- Loosen the hose clamps at the fuel inlet and outlet lines then slide each line off the filter nipples.
- Remove the fuel filter.
- Replace the fuel filter. Always be sure to use new hose clamps.
Fig. 7: Fuel filter - 1986-88 VG30i
Fig. 8: Fuel filter - 1986-88 Z24i