Question about 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse

1 Answer

Small crack i have a fine crack on the 36in by 4in metal thing that is under the motor. the car was inspected day of transfer at NTB 5ks ago and i was told it was in wonderful shape. i bought two tires. 7da ago i went in to the same NTB for an alt belt and a new manager said the car was unsafe because of the crack. he said it was there NTB inspection and that the empolyee no longer works there. sorry about the new tires. sorry about the inspection. he said that metal thing could not be replaced. i called mitsu and no recall on the part. the new NTB manager called junkyards to junk the car for my safety. no one could come and my car is still at NTB. can that metal piece be replaced? i think this guy is a bit goofy. thanks

Posted by on

  • 3 more comments 
  • susan5252 Sep 26, 2008

    could it be the motor mount? i could see the motor about eight inches encased in the frame. this metal piece was on the frame going front to back. noone said anything about it being the motor mount when my car was condemned. there was no shaking when i drove. i found the car drove nicely. 35mi/gal

  • susan5252 Sep 26, 2008

    could it be a stabilizing bar?

  • susan5252 Oct 19, 2008

    it has to be the motor cradle. corporate NTB came out and said the car WAS safe to drive. new manager tried to cheat me. i am finally not afraid to drive after one month. picking up the car today. you helped me more than you could understand. thank you so much.

  • Steven Brock May 11, 2010

    Well, if I'm understanding you correctly, what you are describing sounds like the motor cradle. Basicaly, the motor sits on mounts then the mounts sit on the cradle, and the cradle ataches to the frame of the car with bolts. Dose this sound more like what you're trying to describe? And I know nothing of vechile inspections. I live in the mid-west where it's not required. Since it's only a crack and if it's the cradle, is it possible to be welded and boxed in? A welding shop would understand what I'm talking about but like I said, I don't know if that will allow you to pass inspection. The stablilizing bar, runs from passanger side to drivers side only and is roughly an inch thick. So I doubt that is your problem. I know this isn't execatly what you call help. Can you take a picture of item, so I can see what your describing?

  • Steven Brock May 11, 2010

    Ah a metal thing dosn't descibe it well enough. You'll need to find out exactly what that part is called. Once you do, then someone might be able to help.



1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 2 Answers

K. i agree with steveepb on the sep 26th entry. bt i believe it is the engine cradle and yes it can be replaced i had a friend who had the same problem with a 2000 eclipse gs i think his replacement was roughly 150$ which thats with auto zone bt good luck sorry if this doesnt help.

Posted on Oct 17, 2008


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

2 Answers

I have a slight amount of metal (small particles) in a brand new 454 chevy motor. Will this cause any damage to the motor


Dec 21, 2014 | Cars & Trucks

2 Answers

Cracked plate under engine

By looking at the picture, It seems to be only the plastic under body plate of your car. It,s there to protect the underbody of the car ( engine and tranny) from foreing object (rocks or things that could be on the road).

Yes if it's not contacting any rotating part of the engine or the road you can drive your car . But for pricing you are going to need to call your parts dealer.

Mar 02, 2014 | Peugeot Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

208cc motor is knocking and the connecting rod and piston seem to be fine

So you have raised a problem with a car or truck, and its engine has pull cord?

Dec 21, 2013 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Exhaust pipe rusted off, but the car isn't any louder at all?

If the exhaust pipe is damaged or parts are missing, it will fail an inspection.
My Harley Sportster is quieter without pipes!

Sep 05, 2017 | 1999 Kia Sportage

1 Answer

Clicking noise coming from around flywheel.

If the car is an automatic, it will have a thin metal flex plate, rather than a regular flywheel. If the flexplate gets a crack in it, it would cause a bit of noise. See if there is an inspection plate on bottom front of transaxle. Remove the inspection cover to look at the flex plate. Turn the engine over to view the flexplate all around. Look for cracks, maybe a loose or missing mounting nut where torque converter mounts on flex plate. If you see nothing, leave the inspection cover off, and run the engine and listen closely for a problem from that area.
Leaking oil, eh? Don't know if related, but while looking at the flexplate, check if motor oil is leaking out the rear main crankshaft seal. It will be fitted to the rear engine block, in front of the flex plate. Oil would be dripping off the rear of engine, or maybe collecting at bottom of bell housing, evident when inspection cover is removed.

Jan 06, 2013 | 1998 Ford Escort

2 Answers

2000 Dodge Stratus SE stalling and not restarting

Sounds like a broken wire probably close to where the computer is. I would inspect the harness here and then under and around the power distribution module (fuse and relay box under the hood) This can be removed for closer inspection of the contacts underneath.

Check all sensor connections especially the crank

Pull the MAP sensor plug connector out and try to start the car, if it starts and runs rough and then wont when the map is plugged in then replace it and you are a go.
I think this is your problem or fuel pump or the fuel pump wire is corroded typically where it connects to the harness and then goes into the body.
This is somewhere to start at least.

Sep 23, 2012 | Dodge Cars & Trucks

2 Answers

Code po456?

The code po456 is leak in the evaporative emissions system.
First thing to check is for a poorly installed fuel fill cap

or try the following

1. Loosten the worm clamps that connect the air box hose to the intake.
2. Remove the bolt holding the air box to the radiator support.
3. Remove the small hose that comes off the front of the air box and goes from the air box to under the intake, I beleive this is the AIR tube.
4. Remove the AIT sensor from the intake hose.
5. Pull up on the air box.

Once removed set the air box a side. Locate the two lines that are wrapped in flex loom and tied to each other that go under the air box. They go from the solenoid that is mounted right next to the horn, behind the right headlight, to the rear of the vehicle. Locate a small 2" rubber hose that connects the front line to the rear line under the air box. Most likely this small hose that connects the two lines has a crack in it because it has been stressed from being stretched over a metal tube. If you replace this, it should fix your 'small leak'.

Reset the code by disconnecting the ground to the battery for a few minutes.

Hope this helps

Mar 02, 2011 | 2003 Chrysler Town & Country

1 Answer

Enigne wont start after it died on road

fine metal shaving means major engine damage, time for a tear down , start with the oil pan, find metal in there which you will, the damage is extensive, time for a rebuilt

May 13, 2010 | 1986 Toyota Tercel

2 Answers

My radiator is lose water everyday like a galon per day but i didnt find any liking. maybe the water is going inside the engine

check oil level if over full and looks like chocolate milk and exhaust for white smoke this could be a blown head gasket

Oct 29, 2009 | 2001 Dodge Caravan

1 Answer

1998 jimmy 4 wheel drive problem

are any of the lites on the switch flashing? you may have a sticking 4x4 shift motor on the transfer case. with a helper, key on someone under vehicle at shift motor, one operating the 2wd button, give shift motor a rap with small hammer on metal portion of shift motor to see if you hear it trying to work. to access control module, remove plastic right kick panel and its right there. remove connector and inspect for corrosion or bad connection. also try park and neutral, may even have to be rolling a bit to disengage. let me know how you make out and will help further if i can. do you know what transfer case system you have? np1 or np4?

Nov 23, 2008 | 1998 GMC Jimmy

Not finding what you are looking for?
2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse Logo

Related Topics:

123 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Mitsubishi Experts


Level 3 Expert

77499 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22306 Answers

Jeffrey Turcotte
Jeffrey Turcotte

Level 3 Expert

8826 Answers

Are you a Mitsubishi Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides