Question about 1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Manual Solution for 1998 Monte Carlo z34:
Pull down interior design near button, it's all velcro underneath. The motor is silver and on the bottom of it, there is a white colored knob, that has a slot for a screwdriver. I believe to close it is counterclockwise. For this you will need VERY small screwdriver, and requires much force with a small one.
I poked a hole through the interior, and used a longer screwdriver. More torque and less pain on hands. Poking a hole sounds weird, but to be honest, it won't be noticed much.
Posted on Feb 09, 2009
The only way to fix these sunroofs is when the track is binding or slipping a whole new track has to be installed.
Posted on Aug 20, 2009
Or another way is to take some so of lube on the tracks, to do this take your glass off then wipe off the track that is open then lube it. then press the button to open the sunroof and apply force on the track to help get it across. after moved back clean track and apply lube, run the rails on the track back and forth untill worked in. put the glass back on and problem solved. may need to help open sunroof by appling your hand on the glass upword force and move with the glass.
helps with one person on each track makes life easier.
Posted on Jul 17, 2012
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 11, 2017 | Cars & Trucks
To check the condition of your original sunroof guides:
- Gl*** in closed position.
- Locate & remove 3 torx bolts on each side of sunroof glass. Lift glass out of sunroof opening & set aside in a safe place.
- Locate "J" shaped cover plate at front of sunroof track assembly. Remove 2 torx bolts from each cover plate.
- Lift up bracket to remove.
- Inspect the plastic guides on each side. The sunroof cables attach to guides on front outer corner. Inspect this area closely for damage.
- Do not operate the sunroof with the J plates removed.Troubleshooting:If the sunroof guides are not broken & the glass is a uniform height along the rear edge your problem may be a stripped gear inside the motor. The motor has a manual override:
- Get access to the motor by removing the map light/switch console or lowering the front of the headliner.
- Insert a large standard screwdriver into the nylon bushing at the center of the motor hub. Push up & turn the screwdriver to manually move the sunroof glass. If the unit will fully open & close manually, you most likely only need a replacement motor.
If your sunroof is stuck in the open position follow these steps to get it closed:
- Remove the glass.
- Try to close the unit without the glass. Many times one side will still be operational and close correctly.
- Try to slide the inoperable lift arm forward. If it moves, slide it forward until it stops.
- You now need to slide the original plastic guide forward to lower the arm to the closed position. Using a standard screwdriver, push it forward. The lift arm should begin to lower.
- If the lift arm will still not fully lower, remove the J plate as explained above, sometimes the sunroof cable will need to be lifted up to allow the guide to fully slide forward.
- Reinstall glass.
May 21, 2016 | Cars & Trucks
Aug 06, 2014 | 1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Mar 14, 2014 | Cars & Trucks
May 17, 2011 | 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Jan 28, 2010 | 1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Aug 01, 2009 | 1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Jan 04, 2009 | 1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1,794 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: