gear + BOX
so is the transfer case, box. or the 5 speed stick box or?
we drain it then fill it, to the mark.
on all gear boxes.
if A/T we RTM read the operators guide. for how to do it right,
most dont and wreck the tranny. the #1 reason they removed the filler.
when posting car issues, stated what it is.
95 Trooper, 4wd M/T , i want to change the 5speed box lube.
what do i need to do that.?
ill spin the wheel of fate, and land on 5speed box.
and answer for TR5 and NV1500 boxes.
For all transmissions except for the Borg-Warner T5R, replace the transmission fluid at the first 15,000 miles (24,000 km) and then every 30,000 miles (48,000 km) thereafter. The Borg-Warner T5R transmission does not require periodic changing of the transmission fluid. (they lie)
- Raise the vehicle and support safely on jack-stands. Place a fluid catch pan under the transmission drain plug.
- Remove the fill plug from the side of the transmission, then remove the drain plug. Be cautious when removing the drain plug: the transmission fluid can be very hot. Allow the transmission fluid to drain into the pan.
- Install the drain plug and tighten to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm) for all models except the 1996 Hombre, which requires 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm).
- Refer to the manual transmission fluid recommendations for the proper viscosity of engine oil, or type of transmission fluid to be used for the T5R and NV1500 transmissions. Fill the transmission by pouring the new fluid through the fill plug hole in the side of the transmission. Fill until the fluid starts to dribble out of the filler hole. Install the fill plug to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm), then lower the vehicle.
so next you ask, what fluid
Use engine oil for all of the manual transmissions, except for the Borg-Warner T5R and the NV1500 (1996 Hombre). Make sure to use engine oil of the correct viscosity for these transmissions, as follows:
- Except 1992-96 Rodeo and Trooper, high temperature-SAE 40
- Except 1992-96 Rodeo and Trooper, normal temperature-SAE 5W-30SF
- 1992-96 Rodeo and Trooper, high temperature-SAE 15W-40, 20W-40 or 20W-50
- 1992-96 Rodeo and Trooper, normal temperature-SAE 5W-30
he Borg-Warner (B-W) T5R is found on Rodeo models with the V6 engine. The 1991-93 B-W T5R uses DEXRON-II automatic transmission fluid, whereas the 1994-96 B-W transmission uses DEXRON- III automatic transmission fluid.
use the highest Dexron number, on the shelf, mark III is not made today.