1998 Cutlass GL after setting for a couple of months. Tried to start. The ignition is locked in the off position and will not turn with key, no radio, keyless remote will not work on door locks or trunk. Tried to jump start with no success.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert who has finished #1 on the weekly Top 10 Fixya Experts Leaderboard.
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
Re: Olds Cutlass GL 1998
Are the battery cables corroded or otherwise no making a good connection? Clean them with a cable end cleaning tool avail at any auto parts store for around $5.00 and try it again, I bet the that is the issue, also charge the battery and have it tested at Kragen, they do it for free.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Your PassKey Security System is malfunctioning. The most likely cause is a bad ignition lock cylinder. Try this to get it started:
1. Set the parking brake. (This will keep your headlamps from coming on and running your battery down)
2. Turn the key to the "START" position and release it to the "RUN" position. (Do not turn the key to the "OFF" position or you will have to start over.)
3. Leave the key in the RUN position for about 10 minutes until the SECURITY light stops flashing.
4. When the light stops flashing, turn the key to the "START" position again.
This should get the engine started so you can drive the vehicle to get it repaired.
HiYour battery is not fully charged, jump start vehicle and take it to and AutoZone or similar auto parts store to have your charging/starting system checked for free.
On the gauges issue, you have to remove the instrument cluster and manually turn/reset the gas gauge. I have a 98 Olds Intrigue and happened a few times. I pull the gauge needle out and set it where it would be if the key where OFF, then plug the electrical connector on the cluster and turn the key to ON to verify gauge positions, on my case, I had to reset the temp. gauge too.
Good Luck! Don't forget to rate this post!!
Remember , these steps must be preformed within 5 seconds of eachother also all doors should be closed, radio and lights turned off
im not sure what you mean by a bypass, you can always just not use the remotes and go into the body control computer and turn off keyless entry
1) Unlock Doors 2) Turn ignition key to "ON" position (II) 3) Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the remote 4) Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position (0, I) 5) Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position 6) Press lock or unlock 7) Turn key to off position 8) on position 9) lock or unlock 10) off position 11) on position 12)lock or unlock - doors should cycle to indicate successful programming. If you only have one remote, turn ignition to off or don't touch anything. if you have 2+ remotes, go to 13: 13) lock on each transmitter that you need to program
*Steps 2-12 must be performed within 5 seconds of each other. Step 13 can be performed within 10 seconds of step 12.
the lock cylinder may have to be replaced, have you tried moving the steering from side to side while trying to turn the key, if you do need to get a new ignition lock cylinder have a lock smith key it to fit your old keys