I got service reminders to change my rear brake pads. I did this and lights were still on. My garage suggested changing the front ones as well... So I did, and lights still on. They then suggested unplugged battery for an hour or so. That has not worked. Do you know of any override I can perform, before calling BMW???
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: Service warning messages
Did you change the brake pad wear sensors in the front and rear pads as well? you may have a bad connection or broken wire to the wear sensors on one of the wheels. sometimes there is a sensor on each wheel and sometimes just 1 front side and 1 rear side, the sensor has a single wire and they slide into the inside brake pads, if your brakes wear down to the point of hitting this sensor you need to replace it and they are pretty cheap about $25 for all four you may just try changing them first before spending $80 at the dealer for an hour diagnosis, if you figure anything out let me know so i can help, good luck and please rate this -Jeff
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
I will need to know the year make and model of this car, as far as the brake light if the sensors are new then close all doors and trun the key on without starting the car and wait about 15 seconds and the brake pad warning light will go out, send me the info of the car and i will tell you how to reset the service light as the method changes for year to year and model to model and also depends on what type of cluster it has. good day.
the brake pad warning light is controlled by a sensor located in the front and rear brake pads, small contact with 2 wires that plud into a harness, if they are bad I think the replacement cost is around 5-10 dollars for a new one, there will only be one in the front and one in the rear, the service light is turned out by a special tool at the dealer
From left to right
1. The wrench light is the service interval light.It will illuminate after about 4800 miles or 358 days to remind you your vehicle is due for service.To reset hold the SELECT and UNITS buttons on the trip computer for 5 secs. The light will illuminate then extinguish itself after about 4 secs.
2. Frost warning light. This light illuminates yellow when exterior temps are between 39 to 32 deg. F to warn you of possible icing on the roads.It will illuminate red if temps drop below 32 Deg.
3. Brake pad warning. Will illuminate when brake pads have worn down to the sensors in the pads.
4. Washer fluid warning.
5. Door Ad-jar
6. Bulb failure. Indicates an exterior bulb is out.This will illuminate until brake pedal is pressed after starting engine unless of course one of the brake lamp bulbs is burnt out.
I dunno if this will work on your BMW, but on my BMW Z3 and M3, it was....
Turn the ignition key to position 2, but do NOT start the car. Wait for
about 45 seconds and the brake warning message will be reset.
If it doesn't reset, then the brake sensor was damage. You will need to replace the brake sensor. It sounds like you replace the brake right after you saw the warning, so the brake sensor should be okay.
Its not an electrical problem . . .. . When you change brakes you have to change the brake sensor as well. . . . . It just looks like a piece of wire with a sensor that clips onto the pad . . . . .Normally it is the outerpad. . . I cant tell you on witch sides its on cause it may differ from model to model.
Its not going to be a hazardous to the car the brake light will just keep burning.
If you replace the sensor and t he light does not stop burning it may be that your front brakes are also worn but remember just as at the back there is a sensor at the front.