Question about 2001 Ford Escape
You have to take the plastic panels around the streeing wheel off (it's pretty easy). The cable is sold as a complete assembly. There is a plastic coupling on each end and ususlly, the end next to the transmission breaks. The internal plastic falls out and the cable slips off the trans. shift pin. You can fix it without replacing the cable, if you can find the correct size "E" clip to hold the transmission side of the cable to the pin attached to the transmission. Just look at the transmission side of the cable and you will see what I am refering to. It's pretty easy to access from under the hood (pass side). Just look and you will see the loose cable that has popped off the shift pin. I just happened to find the correct E pin and it worked. If you buy a nes cable assembly, it will probably cost around $68-retail.
Wholesale cost is around $35. I was going to replace the shift cable, but the clip seems to be working fine and I have not had a problem...
Posted on Oct 17, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 21, 2015 | Opel Corsa Cars & Trucks
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION (Continued)
Gear Shift - Floor Mounted
1. Raise the vehicle and disconnect the transmission
shift cable from the lower selector lever.
2. Disconnect the four nuts that attach the housing 6. Remove the whole floor shift housing by lifting
to the floorpan. vertically
1. To install the floor shift housing to the floorpan
reverse the above instructions in order 6, 5, 4.
2. Place the selector lever in the 'P' position.
3. Raise the vehicle.
4. Reconnect the four nuts that attach the housing to
5. Install the shift cable back onto the lower selector
6. Tighten the lock nut to the required torque to 28
7. Lower the vehicle and check transmission
operation in each selector lever detent position.
3. Lower the vehicle. 8. Check that the mode light functions correctly. For
4. Remove the centre console (Refer to section further information, refer to Section 307-05.
5. Detach the back light bulb/wiring.
I6 Floor mount shift components
Jan 12, 2015 | Cars & Trucks
Jan 03, 2013 | Saturn Cars & Trucks
Oct 22, 2012 | 2002 Dodge Durango
Nov 19, 2011 | 1987 Chevrolet Spectrum
Sep 23, 2011 | Chevrolet Cavalier Cars & Trucks
Unfasten the bolts (1) and remove window regulator
NOTE:By removing window regulator motor, gearing shifts, it is not centered
For replacement part carrier assemblies, the gearing is secured in place with a cable tie (1)
Dec 09, 2010 | 2001 Volkswagen Cabrio
Dec 24, 2009 | 1991 Volkswagen Jetta
Jul 12, 2009 | 1996 Mitsubishi Galant
Dec 26, 2008 | 1997 Volkswagen Jetta
669 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!