Tip & How-To about 2008 Buick Lucerne
When attempting this task, I was befuddled initially. I contacted Buick directly, and was given a mess of non-responsive, one size fits all, baloney.
After about three emails, each written at a higher notch on the anger level, I was contacted by several "customer service" people. The last of the calls informed me that Buick had checked around and found the best deal at one of their dealers to replace the blinker bulb. It could be accomplished, I was advised, for the low price of $74.00, $20.00 for the bulb and $54.00 for the labor. No way.
The bulb costs $1.50 to $2.50 at the auto parts store and some gas stations. It took me 20 minutes to do the job with an adjustable wrench.
1. Open trunk and unscrew the knobs to which the trunk netting is attached.
2. Pull up on the plastic lining to release the pop pin that secures the lining to the trunk edge (slide your fingers under the plastic and pull straight up).
3. Push the lining toward the middle of the trunk, and you'll see three bolts pointing toward the front of the car. They have nut/washer combinations on them.
4. My guess is that the nuts are metric, as 7/16ths is too big, and 3/8ths is too small. I used an adjustable wrench. Not much more that one half turn (counterclockwise) will make the nuts hand turnable.
5. Remove the nut/washers, then tap with your wrench on each of the bolts.
6. The whole taillight assembly comes out of the back end of the rear fender like a big wedge of apple pie.
7. Twist the bulb socket out of the light fixture, then remove the bulbs from their sockets. Both bulbs pull straight out of their sockets.
8. Install new bulbs, and reverse process above.
NOTE: There is a plastic finger that extends from the taillight assemble toward the front of the car. The finger is about 1 1/4 inches long. Slide that finger into the corresponding hole in the rear of the fender, then the bolts into their appropriate holes.
Twenty minutes labor plus the trip to the auto parts store for the bulbs.
This means the flat rate hour for this type of work is $162.00, an absolute rip, not to mention the 1000% mark-up on the bulbs.
Posted by 248Birdman on
Feb 16, 2016 | 1988 Buick Regal
Jun 04, 2015 | 1992 Buick LeSabre
Sep 25, 2013 | 2007 Honda Fit Sport Hatchback
Dec 13, 2010 | 2001 Buick Century
Dec 04, 2009 | 1996 Subaru SVX
1,889 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!