The following directions will help you decode your 2002-2006 Nissan Altima's Service Engine Soon (SES) light and reset it.
Obtain The Trouble Code
- Turn the ignition key to the ON position and wait three seconds.
- Put the accelerator pedal to the floor and release it five times in less than five seconds.
- Wait exactly seven seconds. Put the accelerator pedal to the floor for ten seconds until the SES light flashes.
- Release the accelerator pedal and start counting flashes to obtain the four-digit trouble code.
Clear The Trouble Code
- Long flashes (0.6 seconds) indicate the first digit of the code; count
the blinks one through nine and write down the first digit. (Ten blinks
indicates a zero.)
The next three digits blink
faster (0.3 second) and have a 1 second pause between digits.
- The ECM code repeats until you turn the ignition key to the OFF
- You can look up the trouble codes in the Service Manual.
- If you get four blinks of ten, or 0000, the ECM indicates no malfunction.
Clear the code and the SES light by holding the
accelerator pedal down to the floor for 10 seconds or more while the SES light is
- When the pedal is released, the ECM will erase the trouble