Tip & How-To about Bentley Arnage
O2 sensor needs to be replaced when you get low gas mileage in car.
So before replacing the sensor it needs to be tested.
The procedure to test O2 sensor is as follows: ---
1) First drive the vehicle for 15 minutes in normal temperature.
2) Then Stop the vehicle in park mode and turn the engine off.
3) You will see primary O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold, the manifold will be very hot to touch so take care.
4) The function of O2 sensor in the car is to measure the amount of oxygen in car and then send that information to engine to adjust fuel pressure.
5) Now to measure the O2 sensor reading. Carefully disconnect the wire at the O2 connector, and hook the positive lead of volt meter to the O2 sensor side of the connector and connect the positive lead of volt meter to harness side of the connector.
6) In the O2 sensor you will notice two black wires that are not used for testing.
7) Now before beginning the important part of the testing procedure, check out properly that wires of O2 sensor and wires of volt meter are not getting touch to any other metal part or the manifold.
8) After checked and confirmed. Now start the car and see the voltage in engine idle position.
9) The reading will go high or go low but the average reading that it should show is 500 mV.
10) Now let the engine run and with engine running disconnect the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose, and plug the hose with your finger.
11) The 500 mV reading will go to 700-800 mV.now remove the finger the reading will fall low to 300 mV.
12) But if these readings are not showing properly that indicates the fault in the sensor.
13) The secondary O2 sensor is located after the catalytic converter. The procedure to measure secondary O2 sensor is exactly the same like how you measured the primary O2 sensor.
14) The secondary oxygen sensor is located under the car.
15) Put the car on jack stands on the rack, this will give you proper sensor location in the car.
16) You can test secondary O2 sensor to conform the fault before replacing the O2 sensor.
17) The cost of replacing the O2 sensor is near to $100.This cost is for if you do it yourself.
This will help. Thanks.
Posted by charlymont... on
May 23, 2011 | Toyota Paseo Cars & Trucks
Sep 06, 2010 | 2002 Nissan Maxima
Jun 08, 2009 | 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
1,790 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!