Tip & How-To about Dodge Ram
In order to replace the fuel pump on a dodge ram follow the instructions below
The fuel pump on this vehicle is electric so check all fuses and relays to ensure this isnt whats causing you the problem as it is quite a big job to change the fuel pump.
1. Make sure you purchase the correct fuel pump as their are different size and shapes depending on ago of vehicle, model of vehicle and engine size the type of pump will vary so make sure you buy correct type.
2. you now need to relieve the fuel system of pressure you can do this by removing the pipe that goes to the injectors put a bit of rag over it to stop it spraying any where, their wont be loads come out its just pressurized.
Also undo the negative lead from the battery.
3. you now need to drain and disconnect the fuel tank ie undo the pipes coming from the tank be careful of the filler hose this will also need undoing.
Remove the fuel pumps electrical connector and remove the fuel lines connected to the tank.
You should now be able to remove the tank
4. You can now get to the fuel pump, you need to remove the lock nut holding the fuel pump in place turning the nut anti clockwise.
Discard the o-ring between the pump and the tank.
5. Now your ready to fit the new pump, fit the pump using everything in the kit and make sure you use the new o-ring.
You must make sure that the allignment tab that sits under the fuel pump fits correctly into the notch cut into the tank.
6. Tighten the locking nut to 40in lbs.
The refit everything in reverse order. When your ready to start the engine it may take a few turns for the air to come out of the system, if needed you could leave the fuel pipe off the injectors and switch the ignition on making sure the pipe is in a bottle so you done get fuel every where, once you have fuel coming out refit the injector pipe and now you should have no problems starting the engine.
You are doing this work at your own risk, its not the easiest of jobs to do and is time consuming on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the hardest i would say the job is about 3.
If you are unsure what you are doing or dont have the correct tools then leave it to an expert.
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU RE-FIT THE INJECTOR PIPE IF YOU DID UNDO IT AS YOU COULD CAUSE A FIRE IF THIS PIPE IS LEFT OFF AS YOU WOULD HAVE FUEL COMING OUT OF THIS PIPE AND IF YOUR ENGINE SPARKS OR SHORTS YOU COULD SET FIRE TO YOUR VEHICLE.
Make sure the tank is empty as it can be really heavy if the tanks has fuel in.
Posted by paul... on
Mar 30, 2011 | 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD
Feb 02, 2010 | 1998 Dodge Ram
Jan 21, 2010 | 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Club Cab
1,577 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!