Tip & How-To about Audi A4
Heed of antifreeze solution temperature!!!
You must check the thermostat operating. The thermostat location is on back of alternator at the bottom side of the bracket. IMPORTANT: It is NOT necessary to replace the alternator if you want to change the thermostat !!!
1. Cold engine. Start up the engine and watch of the water temp indicator. After first value 60 Celsius Degree you still warm up the engine until the lifter (pointer) reach 80 C deg. (second mark after 60 C deg.). At this time you let engine running at idle speed and check with your hand the thermostat plastic housing and hose temperature in bottom left side of the engine. Heed of alternator driving belt and ventilator fan !!!
2. If the thermostat is good the hose must be cold until the water temp indicator reach almost 90 C deg.
3. The thermostat opening temperature is 87 C deg.
4. If the hose is already warm the thermostat is out of order.
5. If the thermostat and the temp sender are OK the last piece out of order will be the instrument cluster.
Posted by TDISLine on
Sep 27, 2011 | 2000 Volkswagen Beetle
Jul 06, 2011 | 2000 Audi A4
Jan 23, 2011 | 2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Jan 05, 2011 | 2000 Volkswagen Passat 4Motion
Feb 22, 2010 | 1999 Audi A4
2,910 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!