Ford Taurus - Recent Questions, Troubleshooting & Support
How do i adjust the valves in a ford 1997tarus
Valve Stem to Guide Clearance
0.026-0.071 mm (0.001-0.0028 in)
0.038-0.083 mm (0.0015-0.0033 in)
With No. 1 piston (6108) on top dead center (TDC) at the end of compression stroke (Position No. 1 in the illustration), check the following valves:
No. 1 exhaust valve (6505) No. 1 intake valve (6507).
No. 3 exhaust valve No. 2 intake valve.
No. 6 exhaust valve No. 4 intake valve.
Rotate crankshaft (6303) 360 degrees to position No. 2 and check the following valves:
No. 2 exhaust valve No. 3 intake valve.
No. 4 exhaust valve No. 5 intake valve.
No. 5 exhaust valve No. 6 intake valve.
1997 Ford Taurus
1992 ford tauras is leaking atifreeze underneath the block, is it
Hi..my name is Keith..and if its leaking up front in the middle..its your water pump..it has a weep hole in the bottom of it..and when the bushing goes bad..the coolant comes out the hole in the bottom of the water pump..but it could be other things..but thats the most likely suspect..if not please write me back and i will help you further
1992 Ford Taurus
on Aug 09, 2018
I'm looking to buy a
Ford can cut a key with the vin#. As far as the fob, dealerships don't carry them any longer. If you can find one on eBay the dealership can reprogram it but most are too lazy and won't bother. Google "replacement key fobs", there are a few companies that sell
Replacements and can program them for you. Pep boys and auto zone also carry replacements but I'm not sure about the programing. Good luck.
Ford Taurus Cars...
on Aug 05, 2018
I just purchased a 96
You can go to Autozone or Oreillys for a free scan. Usually the onboard computer will pickup an electrical problem. There may be something recorded that a scan will show.
If not, look for nonelectrical problems like Vacuum leaks. Take a water spray bottle and go around the Intake and Vacuum lines, a change in RPM would indicate a leak. You could have a dirty Injector which is firing Electrically, but clogged. Since each cylinder bank averages all 3 cylinders for RICH and LEAN errors, an Intermittent miss would not show as easily.
If you have the oldstyle Vacuum gauge, it would show fluctuations for problems in Valve action. Like a Valve not closing due to Carbon buildup, a weak Valve spring, a clogged Lifter, all things not electrical. So if the result indicates possible clogs, you can get Professional cleaning of the Injectors or try a gas additive. You may need a product such as an oil additive, like Lubegard to free the Lifters.
Thanks for using Fixya!
1996 Ford Taurus
on Jul 11, 2018
I have a1987 Taurus. Started beeping today underthe glove compartment when I removed the key fromthe ignition.
There's an online store www.reliable-store.com
where you can get info on all vehicles, heavy equipment, engines right from service instructions, repair instructions, parts info, wiring diagram, torque specs, electrical, fuse diagrams, error/fault codes everything
Ford Taurus Cars...
on Jun 05, 2018
Where is the tension pully on a 1993 ford taurus
there is no spring tensioner on some of the 3.0 engines. See instructions below. I will paste a pic on the version that DOES have a tensioner at the bottom of this post.
3.0L Engine-Except SHO
ALTERNATOR BELT WITHOUT AUTOMATIC TENSIONER
- Loosen the adjusting arm and pivot bolts.
- Turn the alternator belt adjusting screw counterclockwise until the old belt can be removed.
- Remove the belt.
3.0L SHO EngineALTERNATOR BELT
- Install the new belt over the pulleys. Check that all the V-grooves make proper contact with the pulleys.
- Adjust the belt tension, then tighten the adjusting arm and pivot bolts.
See Figure 2
- Loosen the nut in the center of the idler pulley.
- Loosen the idler adjusting screw until the old belt can be removed, then remove the belt.
POWER STEERING AND AIR CONDITIONING BELT
- Install the new belt over the pulleys in proper contact with the pulleys.
- Adjust the new belt to specifications as follows: Turn the idler pulley nut to the right to tighten the belt to a specification of 220-265 lbs. (980-1180 N). Torque the idler pulley nut to 25-37 ft. lbs. (34-50 Nm).
See Figure 2
- Remove the alternator belt.
- Loosen the nut on the tensioner pulley.
- Turn the belt adjusting screw on the tensioner counterclockwise until the belt can be removed, then remove the belt.
3.0L Engine (Except SHO) and 3.8L Engine
- Position the new belt over the proper pulleys, making sure the V-grooves are properly seated.
- Install the alternator belt.
- Adjust the power steering and air conditioning belt to a specification of 154-198 lbs. (690-980 N) with a belt tension gauge.
- Adjust the alternator belt.
VEHICLES THROUGH 1993 WITH AUTOMATIC TENSIONER
See Figures 4 and 5
On the 3.8L engine, the tensioner has a1/2in. square hole cast into the rear of the tension arm directly behind the pulley. On the 3.0L engine, the1/2in. square hole is cast into the spring housing on the front of the tensioner.
- Insert a 1 / 2 in. breaker bar into the square hole in the tensioner.
- Rotate the tensioner clockwise and remove the belt.
Fig. Fig. 5: 3.8L belt schematic-1993 shown
- Install the drive belt over all the pulleys, except for the alternator pulley on the 3.0L engine for vehicles through 1992, or the idler pulley for 1993 3.0L vehicles.
- Rotate tensioner counterclockwise and install the belt over the alternator pulley. Make sure that all the V-grooves make proper contact with the pulleys.
- On the 3.0L engine, install the alternator belt for vehicles through 1992.
- For 1993 3.0L vehicles, install the drive belt over the idler pulley.
1993 Ford Taurus
on May 07, 2018
Not finding what you are looking for?